Need health advice for a diabetic patient.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Greetings, This is serious so please no false

My aunt has diabetes since last twenty years or so. She is 64+ years of age and is overweight.

After doing a thorough research on the net about diabetic types, symptoms, treatments and etc I found out her diabetes is of "type 2".

She takes insulin and other diabetic medicines as well to keep her sugar levels control. Her feet are numb all the time and due to excessive weight and all this numbness, her daily activity is becoming less with age. She used to be a working women (teacher at school) which she did until retirement (age 60).

Due too overweight + numbness + less activity, exercise is like a no-no for her. She cannot even walk properly and falls if she does that for long. I am really worried of her situation and need suggestions as to what are the ways that I can make her lose fat/weight to decrease her chances of catching other diseases. She has already maintained her diet but overweight is a big issue.

I considered suggesting her Fat Burning supplements or protein supplements as well but require your suggestions and serious advice.

Thanks.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Alot of missing or conflicting information here.

1. If diet is good then why is she overweight? She likely needs to reduce carbs (and calories) dramatically and lose weight.
    2. Exercise is important, even light exercise like a stationary bike.
    3. Is she on any diabetic, or other meds besides insulin? This can be a factor in weight gain or loss.
    4. What are her blood glucose numbers?

There are plenty of excellent books out there on this subject.

• Posted

Thank you for your response.

1. She has weight for a long time, (genetics maybe) because her sisters have weight too like that (my mother and my other aunt). Her diet is good in a sense that she does not eat things like meat or fatty stuff and eats light food (fruits, light food, bread and tea stuff). How do I make her reduce carbs and lose weight?

2. She can barely walk 15-20 steps that too slowly slowly, therefore she cannot use stationary bike and other exercise stuff...

3. Yes, I don't know their names but she does takes them regularly, some of which I remember are glucophage 500mg, loperene 75mg, sofvasc 10mg etc

4. Idk about that but she does have devices to check so she keeps them balanced.

Note: One more thing I would like to add is that she said a recent test showed she had high risen cholesterol level...

• Posted

Look up KETO DIET. The problem is not meat and fat, it is carbs. Significantly cut back carbs. She would need to discuss with her doctor but that would cause weight loss. Supplements might be ok but will not remotely have the effect of a major diet change. Exercise - even minimal - helps metabolism. It appears she is under doctors care based on the meds you list. Be sure to run any significant changes by her doctor.

A good book is "The Diabetes Code"

• Posted

There are many videos on YouTube demonstrating chair exercises that can be done while sitting down. Some are designed for people who are overweight, This might be a good way for her to start exercising.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.