Need help

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi  haven't posted for a while been too miserable I went for my 6 week check and the consultant said he was pleased with my progress but said that I should not be using sticks yet but should go back to crutches as sticks are only for balance not support It felt like a real backward step I am so far behind some of you I feel like I am losing the plot I have not had any physio and am not sure what I should be doing the consultant said it will just get better He has discharched me but I still have backache  Obviously I still have the ability to moan ! Grateful for help 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jane

Sorry you are feeling down but your surgeon is right you should still be on crutches till they tell you it is ok to use a stick or to walk without aids at all.

If you feel like you want p[hysio and your surgeon has discharged you. Go to your GP and request that you feel you need some physio. Don't take no for an answer.

Let your GP know you feel you have been let down and discharged too quickly.

• Posted

Dearest Jane,

Oh no, don't do that .... we all heal in our own way, our own time ... it is such an individual journey - who cares if you need to use crutches for a bit longer ?  it is a drag, I know, but still ... My Physical therapist wanted me to stop using my trolley (no crutches for me ... not sure why) and use a cane at 5 weeks post-op from RTHR  - was way too soon as I my posture was so wrong - 

did not help that other hip was getting worse - so back to the trolley when i am out shopping or going for walks - even now - put aside my pride rolleyes

Interesting that you were not given any exercises to do at home - def ask for referral to PT from your GP -

in the meantime, Ian has given some great and easy exercises to do -

be gentle with your self - come back here any time okay ... 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Jane - I'm just over four months post op.  At my 6 week check I was using just the one crutch around the house but still needed two if I went out.

I continued to use the single crutch until about 3 weeks ago! I just wasn't ready to lose it - my muscles felt tight and awkward after a short walk and I was beginning to think that I might be using that crutch forever.  And then, on a weekend away with friends, I relaxed and somehoe, everything slotted into place.  I swam, and I danced, and I haven't used the crutch since. 

That's not to say that I don't get tired legs, I do, but I'm beginning to be better at pacing myself. 

I exercise to build up the muscle in my legs - cycling and walking.

Dont despair- you will get there.  And dont compare! Everyone's different. x

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I think one of the big things with us hippies is that we quickly forget how things were before. I was walking so badly before hip op number 1 that my muscles had grown used to being a certain way and had shortened. After my first op, my body naturally tried to stand up straight and got howls of protest from the muscles that I previously hadn't used for so long. Now, after almost 6 months post surgery, those muscles have re stretched and don't protest anywhere near what they used to. I'm currently 5 days post op number 2 and fully expect the same again with the muscles on the newly operated side.

Your walk and your posture will all have to be re-learned by the muscles that carried you round pre-op and they aren't going to be very happy with that. It's a slow process but it will happen, you just have to be patient. You didn't get your poor posture overnight and it's not going to resolve overnight either.

Just keep at it, and try to find some exercises as Ian has said. They really are invaluable in your recovery.

Keep coming back and having a rant and please try not to compare yourself with others. We are all different ages, sizes, levels of health previously etc and no two of us will have identical recoveries.

Good luck and take care.

Ali xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.