need help

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok I have hypothyroidism and I was diagnosed with it back in December. Does anyone know if once you have it do you take medicine for the rest of your life? And what symptom do you get? My hair falls out, I'm cold or feel like I can't get warm, my nails are brittle, and a few other issues!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes the tablets are for the rest of your life and you shouldn't skip any tablets.

I get very dry acne prone skin, tired all the time and struggle to sleep or fall asleep when i shouldn't. I also am cold all the time or have night sweats. And my period lasts longer and is so much heavier. And i have problems with my eyes this is even though i am taking my tablets every day.

• Posted

Try eating protein based foods like eggs nut and organic chicken!

Don't eat 

Cabbage 

Broccoli 

Cauliflower

Carrots 

Turnip 

This is because it's most probably hashimotos disease which is where the immune system attacks the thyroid I fixed my fiancee thyroid this way see if it works for you? Anything worth a try. My fiancee was going to have to go for a biopsy and when we went back after 4 weeks her thyroid was normal!   

• Posted

Your forgot gluten and soy! wink They can be very bad for hashimoto sufferers.

akincaid, Google hashimoto root cause and your eyes will be opened to a whole world beyond medications.

• Posted

I don't think this site will let me list what we can do as my posts have been deleted before, so researching a hashimoto's diet and speaking with a good doctor who understands it is the way to go.

• Posted

Do a search for goitrogens. These are foods known to cause thyroid growth. The idea is to avoid goitrogen foods. 

Gluten, found in all wheat, rye and barley products, is known to exaccerbate autoimmune conditions, especially thyroid disease.

• Posted

It's also important to make sure you get proper nutrition, especially enough natural iodine, and tyrosine. A paleo style diet is very suitable for thyroid disease.

Since stomach problem frequently accompany thyroid disea, it's especially important to maintain good gut health for prope nutrient absorption.

• Posted

I agree  with what has been said, try taking a probiotic on an empty tummy in the morning, away from levo, 
  • Posted

Hi

Most people take medication for life but it depends on the cause of hypothyroidism and some have claimed to get better through going on strict diets etc.

Hair loss cab be caused by a number of things - untreated or under treated hypothyroidism, over treated hypothyroidism or changing of doses (I know as I suffer with hair loss too).

Make sure you get your T3 levels checked as some people don't have enough and doctors only usually test your t4 and tsh levels which doesn't really give you the whole picture. There are a lot of people who are still symptomatic after taking levothyroxine - doctors generally aren't that knowledgeable about the details of this condition.

British thyroid foundation, thyroid UK and this forum are all pretty good sources of information if you have any other questions

Take care

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos last October 2015 and I haven't taken any medication yet. I changed my diet and added supplements and the labs are almost normal apart from antibodies. Find a doctor who will work with you if you do not want medication for the rest of your life. It's the auto immune attack that needs to be suppressed, and diet with supplements plus a knowledgeable doctor will help you solve it without medication.

• Posted

Hi Akin,

from a medical perspective, the answer is yes. However, I personally know people who have been able to use natural means to reactivated their thyroid. 

Diet and nutrition are a huge part, though difficult to track because the thyroid takes months to respond.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.