need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband hums the same 4 notes over and over. He has been diagnosis with vascular

dementia.  Any suggestions. It is driving me crazy.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry Susan to hear this. My mother had the same issues. Ask the doctor for new medication available for dementia can try some may help him. It helped mom think better for quite some time. See available meds online to ask doc about. 

Sometime a massage on neck the area can help, or play music, even a pet on the bed can help. 

Hapy Holidays🎄

• Posted

Hi susan33372

Do you recognise the notes at all from a song your husband used to like?...

• Posted

My mum had vascular dementia and did a variety of repetitive actions too. Unfortunately there wasn’t anything we could do to stop it and our doctor couldn’t help much either other than offer antipsychotic drugs, anti depressants and medication to slow down her dementia. None of these things worked.  She died in May this year two days after we all arrived in Italy for our summer holiday. We buried her there.  She had had demrntia for 25 years.  She may even have had it for longer before we really began to notice it.

The only thing I can suggest is to try playing music to see how he reacts. If he is humming to music, there is a special interst still there that he still enjoys. We did this with my mum and she always laughed and boggied to any tunes. She loved live music and had great amusement with the piano because she could feel the vibrations through the floor from the notes playing. Her particular favourite was Glen Miller’s In The Mood. She still had that affinity for music right up until she died.

Stimulating the things he likes may help.  Dementia is different for everyone. I really feel for you because it is such a devastating illness.  I don’t know what country you live in, but if you are in the UK, the Alzheimer society would be the one to contact.  They really helped my mum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.