Need help/Advice regarding withdrawing from Codeine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi All

Ok so 3 and half years ago I was in a car accident and suffered from a bulging disc and whiplash, the Doctors put me straight onto Codeine Phosphate 30mg x 2 four times a day. I had them on repeat prescription and was never questioned when I ordered them. So basically I am addicted to them even though the pain I was in has subsised and now I found myself taking 12 x 30mg every day.  

One day (2 weeks ago) I had had enough of being addicted, I needed to take them to just feel 'normal', so I went to my GP and admitted all.  She was absolutely disgusted with me and was furious and basically called me a "heroin addict".  I wasnt to happy with the way she treated me tbh and she basically said if this doesnt work you need to go to Addaction.

She immediately cancelled them on repeat, fair enough, and gave me a 2 week tapering plan where I had to take 12 one day, then 11 next, and so on and so on.  I attempted this but I felt it was too quick for how long I had been taken them, i got down to 4 a day and then was really really ill with withdrawals, I decided to stick at it but after my last tablet I was so ill i had to have time off work and I went back to the docs for advice and they just upped my dosage of Amytripyline, which did not help whatsoever.

So i ended up replapsing (as I hade a few 30mg left) and I also keep buying Nurofen Plus. So Im back to square one.  I just cant handle the physical and mental effects of withdrawl, I was a mess.

So now Ive self-referred myself to Addaction and they want me to go and see them, etc etc.

Im glad i've done this now as I might get the proper help I need to stop altogether as I cant just do it cold-turkey.

I have to wait 10 days for an appt with Addaction (at my local surgery) but i was wondering if I rang my GP and explained what I have done (it was their idea) they would provide me with some meds until I see the Addaction doctor ??

I cant keep buying Nurofen Plus & Codeine Linctus online, its breaking the bank but I cant handle cold turkey.

I am married with 3 kids and my wife has noo sympathy for me at all, like my doctor, and wont give me any support whatsover

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi All

Ok so I have an appt with a different Doctor at 950am this morning so will reply back later when I have been.

I hope they help me

• Posted

well that was an absolute joke

i asked for a telephone consultation so they have me 950am

so i was waiting and waiting and no call so i just rang them and they actually booked me a appt at the surgery

so now I have to wait for the duty doctor to ring me which could be anytime today

• Posted

good luck ian. we'll be thinking of you and i hope they treat you fairly.

• Posted

Ok spoke to the Duty Doctor about 30 mins ago who was horrified that my GP gave me a 2 week taper. She said its no wonder you were so ill and relapsed.

She was very nice & kind and agreed to put me back on 8 x 30mg a day for one week then 7 x 30 mg the next week and so on and so on, so i have a script for today and then 7 post-dated ones.

She recommended that I still go to my addaction appt when it comes through but state to them to keep me on my weekly scripts from her, dont let them give you methadone or butran(never heard of that?)

she also said if I need to speak to a doctor during my taper for whatever reason then ring the surgery and leave a message for her directly and she will call me back sometime during the same day. She also said my dosage should have been better managed from the start and clearly it hasnt.

I feel so glad I got some proper support (thats all it took) and now happy and confient i can beat this mess

thank you for all your advice, Pete, Caroline, Clive, Ritchie (you made me smile) I will keep you all posted on my progression and hopefully beat this demon once and for all

• Posted

Fantastic news Ian! I'm so glad you're getting things sorted!

• Posted

Ah fantastic news Ian I'm so glad your getting sorted, good luck mate and look forward to updates on your progress 😊

• Posted

I am pleased you have had a good result mate, It wiil always be a fight getting through this last few months but it will be so worth it.

You made reference to Butran, not knowing what they are.  Butrans patches are weekly, stick on your arm, opiate patches which contain morphine.  These are what I am withdrawing from currently and am trying to be free of.  I think that I am having a much easier time or it than most and should be free from the withdrawal symptoms within a couple of weeks.

Stick with it all Ian, I'm sure you will be fine   ~   Clive

• Posted

thanks for the advice Clive

I think its best to say on my taper, I dont see the point in changing from one opiate to another and then being addicted to that!

Good luck with you own withdrawal m8, keep at it, i feel your pain!

• Posted

hi ian , i can really understand where you are coming from as i have a very bad injury sustained years ago and spondylitis in my back with degenerating disc pullava i hardly understand,,,,,,but im on strong opiaods pain relief and they help ,,,,oxycodone 20mg immediate effect and very good and easier to ween off if you want,,,,imon a lot so itake them when needed you really need tohave a understanding doctor i can reccomend you some but if you dont mind where you from, as i cant understand why your gp is disgusted with you as they are the ones who got you into the problem in the first place ,,,please reply me for advice
  • Posted

Well done Ian

At last a human Dr hey!!!!

Really pleased for you mate, it can & will be a tough road but its a road that you're now on so all the best with it. You will have bad & not so bad days but stick with it mate. Good luck!

All the best 👍

• Posted

Thanks Ritchie!

Yeah it was good to speak with a Doctor who understood. She was really calm and polite and explained a lot of things.  She also said made sure you go to your Addaction appt as it will really help.

I got that appt today and I go next thursday.

So I'm still on week 1 with 8 x 30mg a day, i start tapering next Wednesday by reducing it to 7 x 30 mg a day for a week and then the week after will be 6 x 30mg a day, etc

I feel really good today and I havent abused my dosage ( i used to in the past, i used to take 14 x 30mg a day normally in one go about 4pm)  I am still sticking to 8 a day this week and im going to make it work.  I dont feel like i want to abuse either. I feel really positive!

i have felt abit anxious which i can handle but no physical symptoms yet fingers crossed.

• Posted

Well done Ian

With the help of addaction, keep going & stay strong matey!!

Very well done. Routing for you

All the best!!

• Posted

Ian your doctor sounds absolutely mad. Basically the same thing happened to me except my dr was great and set me up with a 3 month tapering plan that worked perfect for me. One week was hard dropping to 4 a day and i ended up having a seizure but he immediately put me back up to 6 a day and began tapering again. He provided a lot of support. My pain never subsided though and likely never will. I now use a patch and am now addicted to that but its much less of a problem for me and is a lot more consistent relief. I feel your pain as withdrawing from codeine was very difficult i was extremely sick during it but with the right support you can slowly taper off. The relief and clear head you will feel once you are there will make the whole thing worthwhile. Also give your liver a break from all that paracetamol.
  • Posted

Just a quick update,

I'm down to 6 x 30mg a day and doing well, i havent abused and am sticking to my dose.

I go down to 5 a day on Wednesday this week.

One small problem though my other half (as you know she is NOT supportive whatsoever) caught me taking my morning dose this morning and took the remainder off me and has now flushed them down the loo.  Im mortified.  I tried explaining but she wasnt listening.

I dont get my other script till Wednesday so not sure what to do now ??

I may have to go to the docs tomorrow morning and explain and see if i can get some for monday and tuesday until I get my other script ?

Worried and anxious now, this evening will be hell

• Posted

Ok doctor gave me some more so all is ok

i had a bad night though

didnt sleep well and when i did woke up with dhiarrea and severley 

the doctor said i looked "stressed & very anxious" so told me to go back to see her next week to see if i feel any better if not shell think about prescribing something

gonna keep at it

• Posted

Well done mate.

I feel for you Ian, sorry for saying this mate but, your mrs could & should be a little more understanding than that. How dare she take them off you & flush them!!!

Anyway, thank god you got rid of that other idiot GP & you now have a really good one that does understand!!!

Well done mate, you should be really proud how far you have come, it is very hard & unless you have been there you dont & will never ever understand.

My mrs was very good. I used to say to her "i wish you could feel exactly what i feel even if its just for 5 minutes, im sure you would understand how i felt 24/7 then"

Very very well done mate. Keep going & be proud of yourself Ian!!

All the very best

Ritchie

• Posted

Well done Ian your doing amazing, there will be tough days and nights but you can get through this, I agree with everything Ritchie says and until your going through it you will never understand, shame your wife couldn't be more understanding, don't give yourself a hard time over it either, you will get to the end goal I promise and your be a stronger person for it, good luck and keep us in the loop 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.