Need help/Advice regarding withdrawing from Codeine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi All

Ok so 3 and half years ago I was in a car accident and suffered from a bulging disc and whiplash, the Doctors put me straight onto Codeine Phosphate 30mg x 2 four times a day. I had them on repeat prescription and was never questioned when I ordered them. So basically I am addicted to them even though the pain I was in has subsised and now I found myself taking 12 x 30mg every day.  

One day (2 weeks ago) I had had enough of being addicted, I needed to take them to just feel 'normal', so I went to my GP and admitted all.  She was absolutely disgusted with me and was furious and basically called me a "heroin addict".  I wasnt to happy with the way she treated me tbh and she basically said if this doesnt work you need to go to Addaction.

She immediately cancelled them on repeat, fair enough, and gave me a 2 week tapering plan where I had to take 12 one day, then 11 next, and so on and so on.  I attempted this but I felt it was too quick for how long I had been taken them, i got down to 4 a day and then was really really ill with withdrawals, I decided to stick at it but after my last tablet I was so ill i had to have time off work and I went back to the docs for advice and they just upped my dosage of Amytripyline, which did not help whatsoever.

So i ended up replapsing (as I hade a few 30mg left) and I also keep buying Nurofen Plus. So Im back to square one.  I just cant handle the physical and mental effects of withdrawl, I was a mess.

So now Ive self-referred myself to Addaction and they want me to go and see them, etc etc.

Im glad i've done this now as I might get the proper help I need to stop altogether as I cant just do it cold-turkey.

I have to wait 10 days for an appt with Addaction (at my local surgery) but i was wondering if I rang my GP and explained what I have done (it was their idea) they would provide me with some meds until I see the Addaction doctor ??

I cant keep buying Nurofen Plus & Codeine Linctus online, its breaking the bank but I cant handle cold turkey.

I am married with 3 kids and my wife has noo sympathy for me at all, like my doctor, and wont give me any support whatsover

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All

ok so its been a while since I posted and tbh I'm pretty ahsamed of whats happened in the past week

i was doing ok until i dropped down to 4 x 30mg a day and also I was experiencing some anxiety/stress issues so my doc prescribed Citoralpam 20mg a day as well as the codeine,

after 2 days it felt like the codeine just stopped working altogether and my anxiety/withdrawls seemed to have doubled and I started feeling really, really ill.

since then I stopped taking the Citoraplam and also relapsed with the codeine and started taking 10 x 30mg again as I couldnt bear it, i just couldnt, i feel like a failure

now im out of codeine 30mg and have to resort back to buying OTC and im really scared of going back to my doc, who was really nice about it all, and admitting failure.

i need to see the doc again tomorrow and admit all but I am also getting hassle from my other half if I book a doctors appt and she wil DEFINATELY want to come along and will just cause problems.

i have had no contact from addaction either.

in a really bad place at the moment so dont know where to turn...

• Posted

Ah Ian don't beat yourself up mate, firstly your not a failure your just human, you won't be the first or the last but you've done it so far so you can do it again and reach that end goal, if the pain or withdrawals are getting to bad then maybe you need to speak with your GP about the dose and your tapering plan and make sure you tell her all and I'm sure she'll be sympathetic

Can you not go without your wife? Dose she have to know, sorry that might sound bad but if she's not supporting you then you don't need that extra stress,

You can do this Ian you know you can you've come so far so dont give up now, so you've had a bad week that's over now and time to start again it's not the end of the world your looking forward not back, sending all my hugs to you right now, let me know how you get on 😊

• Posted

Hi Caroline

thanks for your kind words biggrin

I have just got back from the doctors and they have changed my medication again

They have lowered my dose citralopram to 10mg (as 20 was making me worse) and have put me on Amitryptiline again (10mg at night) and also gave me some diazepam for a month to combat the anxiety until the citralorpam kicks in properly, they said it would take about 6 weeks for that to work properly.

they have also put me back up to 8 x 30mg Codeine phos a day until after christmas (as i go away next week for 10 days) and they will start a different taper 1st week in January 

i have to go back next week to see how im doing before i go away

does anyone know if ill be affected taking all those meds to spain ??

• Posted

Ah so glad your sorted 😊 Iv been worried about you.

Just a word of advice diazaoam is very addictive so make sure you follow doctors advice on these as I was on them for 3 months and found the withdrawals awful and very different to opioids.

Make sure you carry your meds in your hand luggage along with your prescription or docs note just incase you get checked and DONT forget them 😊

Hope your more settled now so all you need is to go away and enjoy your hols you deserve it 😎

• Posted

Hope you're doing ok Ian??

To be honest mate, I'm really surprised the Dr has put you back up to 8 per day again?? Still, if it helps then that's good.

I hope I'm wrong here Ian but you sound identical to how I ended up on all that Oxycontin,

Started on codeine, amitryptaleen, diazapam, cetalepram etc etc etc.

I'm not saying that you aren't mate believe me but, I used to tell my GP I was going away with work to get my scripts early, more Meds etc,

I really hope you're ok Ian, however, if you need to talk then you know where I am.

If i can stop just one person going through the hell I went through then that's what I will do & i really am here if you need any support mate.

.all the best

Ritchie

• Posted

Hello All

I havent been on here for a while so I thought I would give you an update...

Well to be honest it hasnt been great, I was down to 8 tabs a day and then on the 17th December I woke up and I couldnt get out of bed, my lower back had locked again, I was in agony

My wife rang the surgery who sent out an emergency doctor to my house, and it was the 1st doctor who basically called me a worthless heroin addict.  After about 10 seconds she realised who I was.  As I was in agony she said "just take ibuprofen", "I cant" i replied "I'm asthmatic".  "Ok then just paracetamol, I am NOT giving you any more codeine, also lie on the floor for a couple of days"

Its a good job I had enough codeine to take some of the pain away but as you know it stops working

The following eveing at 1am she decided to ring the out of hours emergency doctor as I was still unable to get up properly and was in so much pain

The doctor got there about 2 hours later and said I need to be given some proper pain relief, I told him about my previous issues and he said you cant just be left in pain like that again, its inhumane! so he gave me a script for dihydrocodeine instead 30mg x 6 a day.  These really helped the pain and i was able to get some sleep and also get up and walk around.  

I then had to fly to Gran Canaria for Xmas on the 23rd which was a bit of a struggle but I did get to lie down all week!

Anyway my backs improved but its not great and my scripts all run out tomorrow so i am back to see my normal doctor and hopefully go back on a taper, but the emergency doc said I need to go for a scan on my back as it could be something left over from my RTA and he will send a note to my doc advising the scan, so I may be on painkillers for a bit longer yet....

I suppose I can take some positive from this as I am no longer abusing my daily dosage (which is a start?)  whereas last june I was, and quite heavily too.

• Posted

Hi ian,

Have just read through this discussion. Just wondering how your doing? Have you had your scan? Im sure its been tough with the set back. Hope alls well.

Im on 30/500s 8 a day for 2 yrs for back problems. Im trying to reduce/stop. Went to my docs and told her i wanted to do this and she just said ok theres 15mg Codeine take 1-2 4 times a day and gave me 28tablets. Really don't know how to go about reducing and cant see 28tablets lasting long after being on 30s so long. Would have loved bit more support. Was thinking of trying 15mg four times aday but have a feeling thats going to be very tough after 60mg four times a day.

Good reading your story and your ups and downs. Your only human you will face some hurdles but the fact you're trying is great.

• Posted

Hi Ian, how are you doing? I am just beginning my journey..
  • Posted

Hi All

Ok I'm back again and now I'm back in the same boat I was when all this started, so ashamed of myself.

My back sorted itself out and the pain subsised (still awaiting for my back scan though)  

So my doc put me on another tapring plan (3rd one) a few weeks ago, i got down to 6 a day on Monday just gone.

I then received some terrible personal news which means I have to move back to the midlands from cornwall ASAP.  Along with this and the withdrawal I was experiencing I broke down and took 10 tabs in one day, the next day I took 10 and I have had 5 today so far.. I just couldnt take the pain or anxiety anymore, I have failed everyone again.  I am in tears typing this now...

No I have to go back to my docs tomorrow moring who is NOT going to be happy with me.

I've had enough of this, its so depressing and humiliating...

What will my doc do ? will they just refuse me anymore treatment ? Has anyone experienced this themselves ?  is there no other medication they can give me apart from the Codeine tablets ??  Surely theres an alternative...  I dont want to take Codeine anymorE!

• Posted

Firstly I'm so sorry you've had bad news.

Please don't beat yourself up Ian you won't be the first or the last person to slip, where only human at the end of the day and this is a really difficult thing to go through no matter who you are, it takes a lot of strength mentally and physically and it can and will wear the best of us down, it's really is not the end of the world although I understand exactly how your feeling right now.

Tomorrow's another day and you can get back on track with this, you really can do this mate, forget about yesterday it dosnt matter anymore.

Go see your doc they will understand and help you get back on track and there is no need to feel ashamed and make yourself feel any worse than you already do, your stronger than you think and you can do this, where all here to support you and help you get through it, sending hugs 😊 Keep in touch please 😊

• Posted

Thank you Caroline

I'm actually that sick of it all I am thinking of going Cold Turkey from today...  I'm just sick of these tablets ruling my life

If I went Cold turkey could the doc prescibe me something to help ease the W/D's for a week ??  I couldnt take it for a week on its own i think....

I think I want to do that, right now, Ive got my mind set

• Posted

Ian, I am dropping one codeine per day with zero withdrawals from taking DPLA and L-Thyrosine to replace what's lacking in my neurotransmitters. I actually feel like my mind is saying I do need to taper, but my body is saying I can just stop!

I've gone from 30mg x20 per day to x7 per day in 9 days.

If you'd like to read the book I am following to detox, I'll send you the link.

All the best

Suz x

• Posted

Gabapentin will definitely help with sleeping and WLS it was a life saver for me.

I know how you feel because that's what I did, I dropped one tablet a week for 2 weeks and by the end of it I was so mentally ill I thought I'll take a week off then start again so after the third week I dropped my last 2 doses together thinking it will only be a week of hell well it wasn't it took 4 weeks of torture and looking back I still had withdrawals that would just hit me randomly for another 2 months, but everyone's different, all I would say is be careful, drink plenty water, eat well and try and get some fresh air but i would still advise to taper only because if I had to do it again that's the route I would take, I think it was a very stupid thing for me personally because of how ill I really was, I find it hard to even think about it it's still raw.

I found it hard to taper I just wanted it over with so I totally understand where your coming from, just be careful if you do choose cold turkey and keep in touch with us😊

• Posted

Oh and I think gabapentin will make it easier for you to taper safely then you wouldn't feel like you have to do it all at once 😊

• Posted

Thanks Caroline!

I am going to stick with the taper but I spoke to a duty doctor on the phone who stated they would not give me anything else to help me, (i wasnt asking for more codeine, just something else to help) so Im actually going to ring in the morning and get an appt to go and see a real doctor

gabapentin? is that something I can ask for ?  is it also addictive?

• Posted

Make it clear that you need help with withdrawal pains and that gabapentin has been suggested, I took it morning and night for a couple of weeks then just 1 at night for WLS for over a month then just 1-2 a week when WLS was bad but now it's settled and I havnt took any for a few weeks and havnt had any side effects, now I was scared it would be something else to cope with but I think as I felt better I also cut down how much i took so never felt any effects when it came to stopping it, not sure if I'd took more for longer things might have been different.

I hope your doc gives you them, there are other meds such as vallium but stay clear as they are highly addictive and have awful mental withdrawals (for me anyway)

I hope your feeling better after speaking with a doc and hope you get sorted tomorrow, don't forget anytime you need to talk where her me for you 😊

• Posted

Hey Caroline,

Hope you are good?

I had a pretty crap weekend, couldn't get an appt with my GP until today so I'm going in later.  The surgery must of blacklisted me as no-one will speak with me on the phone, not even the duty doctor.

Im still doing the taper (down to 5 now!) but as you know the last week has been a nightmare and it seems to be getting worse (Insomnia, RLS, Extreme anxiety (from which I have started to pick my scalp, gross I know!) and people noticed on the weekend I am losing weight fast too.

So I'll go in and see what they say, just want some help even if its just a short course... I may even beg

will let you know the outcome later..

• Posted

Ah Ian iv been worried about you but didn't want to hound you as I know how difficult it is for you right now, amazing that you've got down to 5 however your struggling and really need that help to continue with the good work youve done so far so please don't let them fob you off, if they don't give you something to help with withdrawals I would maybe go to A & E and tell them your desperate and need help, or your pharamacist (mine has been great in giving advice with my taper and may help direct you in the right direction if your doc fails you), I'm with you all the way mate to see you through to the end of this and it will end I promise you, this is hell right now and I get it but your almost there so keep fighting it will get easier I promise you.

Can't wait to hear from you and hope you get the help you need, sending hugs 😊

• Posted

How you getting on Ian? did the doc give you anything to help with withdrawals, hope your ok 😊

• Posted

Hi Caroline

Well went to the docs and asked for help but got the same response i got from the duty doctor. Zero

They will keep me on the taper but wont give me anything else from fear of getting addicted to something else.

I mentioned about gabapentin but my doc stated they are just for Epelectics and now are classed as "C" so are controlled even more than they were before.

So looks like I'm stuck with just suffering at the moment and I'm REALLY struggling today

Its no wonder people relapse...

Quick question my wife (who is not supportive of me tapering) is seeing the same doc later on today, can she mention what Im doing to my wife ??

• Posted

That's disgusting, I'm so sorry they won't help you.

Sorry to hear your struggling, what you down to now? My heart goes out to you.

I think that's a pretty lame excuse to be honest, I was scared I would have more withdrawals to go through with gabapentin once I was off the opioids but I didn't which is why I think so many people on here suggest them to help people through when it gets tough.

Your doctor cannot discuss anything about your medical history to anyone and if she does I would report her.

I think it's difficult for people who have never suffered to remotely comprehend how difficult your life is right now and just hope your wife never has to endure the suffering your experiencing right now, you will get through this Ian I swear to you and you will be a happy person once again and can put this all behind you. Focus on how fantastic your life will be in the near future, you have so much to look forward to.

If you feel like your slipping or need to sound off or scream and shout then I'm here for you anytime don't forget.

you will get through this I promise 😊

• Posted

Hi Caroline

Thank you for your kind words, at least someone is being supportive towards me, which does help!

I am down to 4 x 30mg a day now.  The past few days I have seriously bad dhiarrea, I have spent 70% of the day on the loo! But the worst is the RLS, Anxiety, and insomnia.  I also have no appetite whatsoever and have lost a lot of weight.  people say its 3-5 days for the wd's and thats absolute crap... i have felt ill for 3 weeks now.  God knows how I would feel if i stopped altogether suddenly.

I know that my doc could really prescribe gabapentin if she wanted too (also Robaxin) but for some reason they look at me as some street Heroin addict (no disrespect to heroin addicts, I kno what your going through).  She said my file is "marked forever" now (but it wouldnt stop any future pain relief if I was SERIOUSLY in need for it, surgery, illness, accident, etc).

I feel a bit robbed as I only ended up on this crap cos of a serious RTA I was involved in and I needed more than paracetamol or ibuprofen (which i cant take anyway due to medical reasons) to stop the pain.  I was in pain for quite a while until the NHS finally decided that I needed surgery (after 2 years)

But after the surgery it took about 3 months to get fully fit and they just kept prescribing (on repeat, no questions asked) the medication.  I am fairly smart and realised at the time I was addicted, but couldn't face being in pain.  Some people have a high pain threshold and some dont, I don't unfortunately.

My doc said she could treat the taper but not the addiction, and i would have to go elsewhere for that.

So now I'm not sure what to do, I dont want to be like this all weekend again, I have a bucnh of pills that are meant to last me till tuesday but I am so tempted right now, so tempted, just dont want to feel ill anymore..

• Posted

Please don't take them this will only prolong your agony but I'm sure you know this anyway, I totally understand.

What did she mean by treat your taper? If this means going into hospital why dont you look into it and see, I was told that I would probably have to spend 4 days in hospital to get off the crap I was on however I took the hard route foolishly, saying that I didn't look into what a hospital stay entails so why don't you do some research if that's what's on offer, if I had to do it again I would do it that way, I suffered for months but had no clue it would take that long or i wouldn't have been able to face it.

If you take these your going to suffer horrendously because they won't give you anymore, I wish there was something I could do to help you, what about ringing the NHS helpline and see if you can speak with someone, surely this is an inhumane way to treat someone, your clearly struggling and need better care from our professionals, I feel like your doc is letting you down, please ring the helpline and let me know how you get on.

I'll be with you all the way and see this through to the end however long this takes or hard it gets I'm here for you, don't give up your stronger than you think and you can beat this crap 😊

• Posted

Also just remember Ian 4 tablets is amazing by the way, you really need to give yourself some credit, you've come along way, this crap in your system is playing games with your mind and wants you to fail, dont give into it 👊😊

• Posted

How you feeling this morning Ian 😊

• Posted

How you doing Ian? I don't want to pester you just making sure your ok 😊

• Posted

Hey caroline

sorry its been a while

had a massive setback this week (and its not about me absuing my dosage for a change!) and its been HELL

my other half went mental at me about me still taking 4 a day, so she got rid of my prescription for this week,  I rang the doc and explained but they basically didnt believe me (think I'm trying to get more) so now I havent had any since wednesday morning, I am going through cold turkey (today is day 2)... its hell, i cant even go buy some as my wife has "confiscated" my debit cards...lol, its like im a child

maybe its for the best?  dont seem to be getting anyhelp from GP or anyone else so might as well just deal with it.  it sucks

I will go back to docs next tuesday but by then I will propbably be over the worst ??

ian

• Posted

So glad to hear from you Ian, I think your partner needs to read a few messages on here so she can understand that where not smack heads and that many people end up on long term prescription drugs because of chronic pain. It's not enough that we have that to deal with but it's normally to late by the time we realise that pain meds are also damaging to us and then have one hell of a battle trying to get off them.

I can't believe the lack of support from your GP it really is mind blowing that anyone can stand back and watch a person suffer especially when she also had a hand to play in you getting to this stage.

If cold turkey is the only answer now

• Posted

Answer now than maybe your right in sticking with it, if you can get to Tuesday then you can do the rest on your own, what I would say tho is seing your not getting support at home then make sure you take care of yourself until you come through this, don't be worrying about anyone other than yourself right now, take it easy, go to bed when you need to and before you know it you will be back on track with your life.

It won't be long before everything is looking brighter and better, I know your going through hell right now but I'm thinking of you and willing you on through this, don't let it get to you you've come so far, it wants you to give in but don't let this tough time be for nothing, you've got it Ian your nearly there.

Try taking some liquid magnesium it should help with RLS, take care and keep me updated Ian 😊

• Posted

IAN, I can only suggest reading 'End Your Addiction Now' by Charles Grant.

I cannot go into my story just now, but if you wish to avoid symptoms almost completely, then please read.

Warmest Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.