Need help as caregiver please

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello, I'm a 60 yo male and my husband has UC and is currently in a flare. The physical symptoms I understand but the emotional / mental aspects are making our life miserable. Depression, anger, and total lack of motivation to do anything to help himself. He mistrusts doctors and states he hopes UC will "take him out"...currently he is taking Delzicol but varies his dosage depending on how he feels. Dr prescribed 4 / 400 mg caps @ 4xday...this seems excessive to us...but he's no better...I really need help to understand how to support him and not be a doormat for his emotion instability...UC is trying to destroy our marriage....any advice from fellow caregivers?

thanks... 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Bobber uc is a horrible chronic disease but the partners / carers suffer as well! I had to look up the drug you mentioned as didn’t recognise the name. Now I know it’s mesalizine.  Are you outside the uk? I can’t see any side effects directly inked to this drug that could cause emotional problems but I personally believe that depression & Denial can be part of this illness. You feel awful, it takes over your life & your confidence goes. Is your husband on steriods or has been? They certainly messed me up emotionally. We have a website in the uk ‘Crohn’s colitis uk’ that you alone or both of you can contact in confidence & get advice & support. If the drugs aren’t helping him then he certainly needs to go back & say. If he doesn’t like his particular doctor then ask to see someone else or move surgery. Once he gets the medication & support that he needs he will definitely start to feel better about himself. You know him best so either it’s the soft encouraging approach or the This is what we need to do so let’s do it now approach.! He won’t get better being in denial. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.