Need help coping with IBS flare up over the past few months

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 46 and from the UK. I've always suffered with IBS for as long as I can remember and it changes between constipation, normal and loose poo. Usually my symptoms come and go and get worse with periods but over the past couple of months my IBS has been absolutely terrible. I can't control my farting as much, and my toilet habits are all over the place. I'm not sure what I'm looking for besides people to chat to I suppose

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Jane, have you tried leaving out Gluten and/or dairy products from your diet? If not then do give it a try. Stop Gluten, wheat products for 2 weeks and see if it helps. If no help then reintroduce them and try leaving out all dairy products...cheese,yoghurt, butter,milk etc. for 2 weeks. You have to look at all the ingredients listed on packaged foods but sometimes its worth a go. You have to do each one for at least 2 weeks to make any difference.

Also do you take a probiotic daily?. That may help as well.

• Posted

hi Jane, oh gosh poor you! Change in bowel habits? Only 1 word - doctors! Please see a doctor, monitor what you have been eating and see if you can recognise a pattern. Don't just instantly cut things out you may lose key nutrients.... oh and good luck.xx

• Edited

Hi Jane,

One word comes to my mind: perimenopause.

My bowels have been playing all kind of tricks on me since I started peri, just had colonoscopy and gastroscopy last week, apparently all ok, but I don't feel ok 😦

• Edited

agree, your body goes all stupid in perimenopause, i wouldn't wish any man 1 day to try being a woman ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.