NEED HELP! ER immediately or wait??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having pretty painful stabbing pain in my right lower abdomen. Its way worse when i take a deep breath or move a certain way and really hurts if i put pressure on it. Its been going on for about 1 hr 15 min and hasn't gotten any better or any worse. It is 3:30 in the morning here. Is this ER worthy? I have an 11 month old and 4 year old sleeping. But if its appendicitis Id hate for it to rupture.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, do you have any other symptons such as feeling neausea , vomitting or diahorria. If you have something like that then its possibly appendix. I had some of the following symtons along with the pain in lower left side and it would pain more when touching it. I would suggest you to go in a morning. If its just appendicitis, then you can get it treated quickly and without any complications but if you wait then it will rupture and makes it dangerous. I had ruptured appendicitis in december and its now februray and i am still recovering from complications, so i would urge you to check it as soon as possible.
    • Posted

No other symptoms other than this extremely sharp pains but i read not everyone has other symptoms. So you think its ok to wait a few more hours? Couldn't it burst soon?

• Posted

You can wait for few hours. It wont burst inmediately. It takes around 3 days to burst. You will get other symtoms too after 24 hours of your abodomen pain if its appendicitis. So you can take some time before visiting doc and do take blood test or sonogram to make it clear that you dont have appendicits.
    • Posted

Ok so this is weird. I now have like 0 pain. After 2.5 hours of extreme pain and one last sharp pain that was the absolute worst I have had...so bad it was crippling & I was almost in tears (and I have a high pain tolerance haha natural child birth was easy). After that i decided to get around to go to ER and now they are like gone. So now im at a loss what that pain could have been or what to do.

• Posted

Mine took less that 24hrs to burst and I was pregnant at the time. I was in hospital for 3 months and contracted septicaemia, I had a VAC pump for 3 months also, they told me if they stitched me up I would die, don't wait, it doesn't take 3 days it will burst whenever. Its 2 and a half years later for me and I'm still under consultant from damage to my intestines and organs from infection, I have never been the same, I really hope your ok xx

• Posted

Faye: read my above comment. My pain is like gone. After 2.5 hours and one last crippling pain its virtually gone. I have no clue what that could have been or what to do now.
    • Posted

Ok how do you feel in yourself? So before mine burst I couldn't walk or breath properly from the pain, I was screaming in pain. When everything stopped the hospital was more concerned that it had then burst, they established quickly I was not in labour (I was 26weeks) it had burst however I was in and out of consciousness, my blood pressure was ridiculously low, I don't remember much just them telling me they had to operate and sorting my next of kin but I was in no pain.

Also my only symptom was a nagging pain in my right side. I had no nausea, no vomiting, no temp. Initially when I rung hospital they told me to take 2 paracetamol and go to bed (which I did) I thought it might be round ligament pain from baby (although It was my second pregnancy) the pain woke me after 4 hours of sleep at 2am and I said to my husband something's very wrong and we went straight away.

You could have a grumbling appendix, I would go to your GP and get a scan. I had right pain in my side for about 3 months I put it down to my pregnancy but when the pain was off the scale it didn't normalise again and as I said before that it was just a nagging pain, sharp shooting every so often xx

• Posted

It was crippling pain for 2.5 hours. Had one final pain that was the absolute worst pain Ive ever felt in my life (other than natural childbirth) now nothing. No symptoms. I feel fine.
  • Posted

Hi Hollister, I know you posted an hour ago, and you may have taken yourself to A & E/ER dept already. When you press in, firmly, and release quickly, is it much worse then?

I'm in the UK and despite taking myself to my GP, and the GP saying get there asap, and so my Dad drove me straight to A & E, but I was told 'you're next for theatre,' they did not take me to theatre until just under 24 hours' later. Delay caused it to have perforated and it had become gangrenous.

This was in 2011. I've been in severe chronic pain ever since. Do not let them fob fob you off. Is there someone to take care of your children? A & E/ER is no place for them and you have to be top priority right now. Let us know how you get on.

An x-ray and CT scan will not always show up appendicitis. A blood test may be helpful. They MUST go by your symptoms. Good luck 🙏🏻

• Posted

It was crippling pain for 2.5 hours. Had one final pain that was the absolute worst pain Ive ever felt in my life (other than natural childbirth) Pain was worse with movement, deep breathing or pressing on my right side. Didnt have nausea or vomiting or anything elsw. Now nothing. No symptoms. I feel fine.
    • Posted

I'm due another consultation next Friday, as had a stint in hospital in November wth abdo pain, I think it's adhesions from the infection. Should I continue trying to get answers or am I wasting my time? Sometimes I feel like pursuing and othe times I'm so tired of it xx

• Posted

Hi Hollister, I sent another reply but it didn't go thro. Please go to the ER and please don't let them fob you off; which they will try to do. By delaying my op, they have literally 'stolen' the me I once was. I was happy and funny, enjoyed the company of friends and close family. Now I isolate myself. I can rarely feel joy; chronic pain is like a slow death. And the neglect caused by their delay has caused the chronic pain. I cannot lie, or paint a rosy picture. People DO die, of shock caused by septicaemia [severe infection]. Don't leave your kids without a Mommy...

• Posted

Yes Holister listen to Fifi1963 once it's burst the damage can be irreversible.

Fifi1963, how do you manage your pain now? Of all the people I have seen and spoken too, everyone who's had a gangrenous appendix, septicaemia has never been the same. Tummy pain, toilet troubles, fatigue, hair loss, I did not realise how dangerous an appendix could be until it happened and now daily life trying to carry on can be hard sometimes from the complications.

I try with diet, vitamins, I never had any health issues until that happened. Xx

• Posted

Hi Faye, I don't cope very well at all with the pain, despite previously describing myself as a 'Stoic!' I tried high dose turmeric tablets, which helped a lot when I first starting taking them.

I've started Wing Chun lessons; I am in a bit more pain after, [but I'm in pain all the time, so what's the difference? At least for 2 hours, I am learning a powerful self defence art and for 2 hours, I don't have 'time' to think about my pain.

I don't have hair loss; do you? My main thing is debilitating fatigue and pain that is generally a 5/10...and builds to a 10, and sometimes it's off the scale. I can't wait to get home to take my bra off; even tho it's not tight, it causes such discomfort. The thing with adhesions is [as far as I know] that they can't 'diagnose' them without 'going back in.' Are you in the UK? I had a gastroscopy yesterday and they took biopsies for H. pylori infection, which can cause pain, apparently. My pain is mostly in the rib area 😟. Hope you do you cope? Any good advice for me? 🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.