Need help for Back pain :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dear All,

Recently I experienced a severe back pain (Initially it was in lower back - both sides, 23/04/2017 onwards) and went to see the GP, he prescribed Ibuprofen Tablets 400mg and advised me to reduce the weight (I am currently 127kg), and since 12/05/17 to 20/05/17, it was Ok and I didn't take many pills as suggested by doctor. suddenly last night , I had middle back pain, which is stopped me from doing my regular work for atleast 10 minutes, then its slightly Ok, but again had the pain within 20 minutes, If I cough or move my arms to grab anything in the fridge, then the pain gets worst. I took the Ibuprofen Tablets 400mg today morning, bit OK, but the little pain still there. I am really worrying what causing this? and is it a spinal or muscle pain? how can I get rid of it? Please kindly help me.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me like a muscle spasm

for example if you have a prolapsed disc the muscles around it will spasm to protect it from further damage. It is extremely painful

there is clearly something wrong and it needs to be checked out. Go back to your GP and ask for further tests

In the meantime take it easy, try not to bend or twist but stay active and hopefully it will ease, you could also try ice packs for 20 mins on and 20 mins off, you could also have acupuncture or see a chiro practor but I think it would be wise to find out the cause first, let me know how you get on 😊

• Posted

Thank you Carolineq8. Its very painful, I am scared to take high dose pain killer too. I dont know what to do ?
    • Posted

If your taking ibuprofen you should also be taking omoprazole, this protects your stomach but you only want to be taking them short term and you should be ok.

Just take it easy and listen to your body but at the same time you need to stay as active as you can, it is scary when your in pain but hopefully your doc will be able to help so don't be fobbed off and keep pushing until you get answers. Hopefully it won't be anything to major and with a bit of rest and taking care of your back youl be sorted soon.

Try not and worry and we're here for you anytime 😊

• Posted

If you have some frozen peas or anything similar wrap them in a tea towel and put it on the painful area and hopefully this will give you some relief, it works great for me 😊

• Posted

Thank you Carol, I am already taking Omeaprazole since 2013 onwards as I am having stomach issues. I am trying my best to stay active ! Thanks for your support ! Its really help me motivated 😊

• Posted

Your welcome and I agree with chiko my chiropractor keeps me on my feet, without him I can barely walk😊

• Posted

Carol you are right about taking Omeprazole if you are using but Tylenol.  I wound up with a bleeding ulcer with no physical stomach pain.  Found blood in stool.  Colonoscopy was fine.  Endoscopy done found healed ulcerated ulcer.  Now cannot take anything but Tylenol.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well as  Ibuprofen.  

• Posted

Oops  meant to say " if you are using anything but Tylenol". Sorry.

• Posted

That sucks, I took them on and off for years and no one mentioned the damage they cause 😲

• Posted

Least invasive way is to have the GP do an x-ray to see if anything is obviously wrong.  If not, take the x-ray to a chiropractor. If it's an alignment or muscle problem, they're the ones to fix that stuff.  I've had great success with them over many years.

Worst case is an MRI and a neurosurgeon...but you're not anywhere near that stage yet.  Chiro can give you things to do to alleviate the pain if it doesn't require neuro skills.

• Posted

It could be both but really the only way to rule out spinal is a MRI scan only yr Gp or AE can arrange this , if suggest u speak to yr Gp and push him on the matter.
    • Posted

Thank you so much everyone..thats lots of info. I am seeing the GP this Wednesday. I will update eventually. I was a bit ok today morning. And started to do my job over 7 hours standing without sitting , its created the same heavy pain again now sad
  • Posted

ask for a cat scan or mri to see what is going on. If the ibuprofen helps then something is inflamed....You really need testing to see what is wrong

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.