Need help for my son please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have a 13 y/o boy and he was diagnosed w/ Crohn's Disease just last week. He was admitted for about a week and now we are having his take home meds such as antibiotics, mesalazine and steroids. They say steroids and mesalazine has also some risks on health that is why I'm looking for other alternative as for his medication after the steroid therapy. Can anybody suggest or share if someone of you tried using drug free medication. I have a friend who also tried using and drinking 10ml of Virgin Coconut Oil every before meals and he's drug free for a year. I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions..Thank you very much!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi April I do feel for you I have had crohns for 20 years I took steroids and mesalazine  when I was first diagnosed then the steroids were tapered off and I took mesalazine from then till about three months ago. All tablets have still effects the tablets I have recently started are knocking me about the main still effects are ..... He will eat you out of house and home yes he will be Hungary acne is another one and the one I cannot stress enough is his bones make sure he takes a calcium replacement such as calchew tablets my teeth just crumbled  away and they can do the same to your bones there wasn't the education on this then that there is now . Once the pain has settled he will be fine I promise as for drinking coconut oil etc etc you have to accept there is no cure and everyone would be drinking it who had crohns if it did any good . The drs know what they are doing and in my experience steroids dampens down the pain very quickly the dr may have told you this but you tapper the steroids of very slowly so make sure he takes his mediation as the dr says you don't mention what dose and steroids he is taking ? Poss prednisoline ? Jon 
    • Posted

Actually he's always hungry and I think that's really the side effects of the medications his taking. His now on his 40mg steroid everyday until the 29th and it will down to 30mg until Oct.4..My son was given a Pediasure plus so he can manage the iron intake and calcium that he can get from the said formula milk..My only concern is to lessen the medicine and to normalize his lab tests since it was very hard for the family and was also very challenging for everyone in the family. Thank you for the suggestion and God bless you smile
  • Posted

Hi April,

I'm not sure where your at, but Im in the USA and my son is 8 and he's being seen to rule out crohns. They are starting him on enteral therepy to calm his symptoms down and put it into remission, instead of using medication. Enteral therapy consists of him only drinking ensure or pediasure for 90% of his food intake and only 115 calories coming from food each day. Theres no side effects and has been very effective in treating children with crohns. Its going to be very challenging, but it has to be better than all the side effects I've read that other people experience from taking prescription drugs. I can give you information if needed. Many prayers and blessings to your family!!

• Posted

Ok Prehaps there has been new news as I understood you to say he had been diagnosed Crohns in your first thread if they can improve things without drugs that has to be good Prehaps they have different ways of doing things in the states as I'm in the uk all the best luck to you all 
    • Posted

Hi, I appreciated your comment here and Thank you very much. We were able to visit the doctor and she said that yes, Enteral Therapy would be very effective for him so he can improve and get rid of his mucosal ulcers..he has to undergo nutritional therapy in 2 weeks time. We were advised that my son will take pediasure of 3mos. Straight and 1mo.solid food intake and another 3 mos. again for the EN therapy and back to 2 mos. solid intake. I hope the family could handle this as he is attending school and diet would be his struggle..many thanks again and I hope ur 8 old son will be forever healthy smile
    • Posted

Aww, I'm so sorry your family is going thru this as well. I know its not an easy road ahead. Especially being 13. My heart truly goes out to your son. I hope he can do the Enteral therapy. My son started it this week and ... he couldn't do it cry  He loves food too much and it made us realize how much everything revolves around food!! I wish he could comprehend the benefits of doing it. SO, they just want him to wait til after he gets his scopes on Oct. 9 for biopsies to know for sure what it is. Im praying for a healing!! I will add your son to my prayer list. Please keep me posted on him. Can you share his first name? Many blessings!! 
    • Posted

Thanks so much Jon!! Im so sorry to hear your struggle with Crohns. I never knew what it was until we've been faced with our own personal experience with it. My heart truly goes out to anyone who struggle with it. Are you able to keep it in remission now? What age were you diagnosed? I know the nutritional therepy is new..and my understanding is it replaces the steroid to calm things down and puts the crohns into remission. But, when finished with that my son would still have to be on another med for possible life regardless. His Dr. said a lot of people choose to do this versus a steroid and the effective rate is 90% But, with crohns I know every case is different per person. Some people choose to stay on Ensure for life!! Many prayers and blessings to you Jon :-)
    • Posted

That's also my worry esp. Now that my son, Taj Dexter, is already recovering and started gaining weight bec. He improved his appetite a lot. Well, Am really praying for your son's healing and hope he gets better even w/o the enteral therapy..Have faith.. Good Job for us smile
  • Posted

I have had CD 10 years. Bad flair last year - hospitalised etc. Now on Azathioprine and Humira.

3 non-drug things have made a difference with me. 1. going dairy free 2. going gluten free 3. buying a juicer and drinking a mix of cabbage, carrot and celery juice 3 times a day

• Posted

Hi paul65297, that's one suggestion that was given by his pedia GI, if he cannot stick to enteral, then he needs to take azathioprine. Im just really hoping he can do the nutritional one rather than taking a lots of meds..Thanks for the suggestion, we're trying to avoid dairy foods for him..He already gained weight and he's having solid stools unlike before..Thanks again and God Bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.