Need help Fractured Fibula

Posted , 3 users are following.

So about 7 weeks ago I had a motorbike accident fracturing my right fibula . I didnt need surgery because it wasn't a complete Break.. it was a "mildly displaced transverse fracture across the distal fibular shaft with soft tissue swelling"

.it's been 7 weeks now I've only been walking on it the last few days in the boot and I tried to walk without it while it's possible and not sore

it's really uncomfortable. I've got a whole heap of swelling in my toes and foot area.. aswell as not being able to Bend or move my last 2 toes.. does that mean I still have ligament damage? Need help. Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jason

Sorry to hear about your injury. I have gone through couple of fractures this past year and I can't tell you for sure these injuries take time to heal.

First of all your query on whether you have ligament injury - ligaments are part of the soft tissues and are found arround the joints so that they hold bones together. For you to know if you have any injury you need to have an MRI. However the movement of the toes can be associated with injury to the tendon which is the ending part of the muscles.

I had fractured ankle last November and completely torn lateral ligament along with partially torn posterior ligament. I had cast for nearly 4 months. During this time I had no issues at all with the toes movement. I had stiffness, some limitations but nothing that caused me to worry about. So your limitations in the toes are either due to tendon injury or as a result of the overall limitations of movement in the affected leg. Swelling will be there it's normal. My ankle and whole foot was swollen for nearly 8 months.

Take care

• Posted

Hey Julia! 

Thank you for replying

i really appreciate your response and also sorry to hear about your recent injuries.this is first major injury since School when I tore my ACL. 

it's pretty depressing. I'm heading to the doctors tomorrow so hopefully I get some good news. Again I really appreciate you replying.

• Posted

I think Julia's response  is right on target so I'm not going to try to reinvent the wheel. 

My recommendation would be to go back to your doctor just to make sure there is no significant damage to the blood supply and nerves of/to your foot .

I am not a doctor however I was a medic in the Air Force for eight years to include one year in Vietnam as an air rescue medic and many years as board-certified physicians assistant in the state of Florida.

I hope I was helpful to you and would like to hear what the final result is.

• Posted

Hey tony! 

Wow! Thank you for the reply man.. I will for sure let you know what happens ! Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.