Need help managing fatigue (CFS?) this week!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

I've been struggling with fatigue and other symptoms for a while, bloods and other tests have come back normal so the doc doesn't want to know. I think I may well have CFS and have booked another appointment this week and will be assertive and say i need the fatigue sorted.

But this week I need to pack up my whole flat to move house next weekend, as well as doing coursework for my part-time course, and working full time -  and I'm sitting here feeling so tired and weak, I could cry because I don't know how I'm going to manage it.

So does anyone have any tips on things that could help me to get through this week? Caffeine doesn't even cut through the tiredness any more so I'm at a loss.

Any help much appreciated! Thank you.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lula,

I'm 10 months into my CF prior to being a very fit 34 year old. Things that have helped allioevated the fatigue for me in a short space of time are 1-high dose vitamin C upto 14g/day (look up vit c bowel toerance) 2- Adaptogenic herbs, rhodiola is my favourite.

The caffeine may not be a good idea, as you get a temporary boost and a longer term low, and likely as you have CFS your adrenals are not working optimally.

You can test the adrenals for under £100. You might also want to look into the gut health connection with CFS. I'm working on both these areas and have noticed improvements that my energy is more consistent.

I can sympathise with you 100% my bloods too are normal, but i was a triathlete for 6 years and often leaving the home for some walking etc is a challenge. I'm going to get well.

• Posted

Hi

I wonder what you would suggest for the gut health. I am also working hard on the gut.

I have chronic constipation with CFS. I had IBS for 20 years with D but now have slow transit & bowel has stopped working through stress I put myself under & through long term  antibiotics I was put on for chronic throat infections. I had an op for the tbroat which has now improved but left me with the gut problem.

I can see you are researching the supplements so would be interest ed to know what you think.I cant take fibre or psyllium husks as it all blocks up inside.

• Posted

Probiotics do wonders for gut health as they replace the bad bacteria with good bacteria and it does have amazing results. Try it for afew weeks and see the difference.
  • Posted

Hi 

sadly you are some what cornered. Is there anyway you can reduce what you have to do at the moment. You have to move . Could you get an extension on your course work I did with my part time course ..Take a few days off . 

You can push yourself but if you have CFS or if you have something else the reality is something's wrong. And push yourself to do all and you will get worse. 

Manage everything reschedule and you will get through it. 

CFS can get a lot worse than just fatigue. Perpetual dizziness, tearfulness , headaches, severe fatigue so you can't hold a cup or get out of bed. 

Acknowledge the warning signs and heed your body .

then you will recover quicker from the fatigue .

try looking up burn out too. It has similar symptoms as CFS milder symptoms but to get over it you need to make lifestyle changes. 

Hope that helps..

caffeine is a no no. 

• Posted

I havent tried any of these tips yet but these are what Ive found out recently:

Bath in epsom salts

Vitamin C 1000 mg I take more if Im not well 3000mg but only for short time

Spray on magnesium oil if you get the muscle aches

Take magnesium supplements

Ask for vitamin D test and magnesium test

Ask for thyroid function tests

Play relaxing music

Take hot milk drink before bed

Dont play tv or computer in bed

Let me know if any of them work!

• Posted

Hi Lula.

I have to say you are very brave to be undertaking so much this week. Is it possible to reduce your work load at all? Maybe get someone else to pack up the flat and ask your tutors to send you the work for college or ask for extentions on deadlines? xx

• Posted

As someone who's had CFS for quite a few years, I'd like to help you avoid a pitfall that I experienced. I kept pushing myself and relapsed, and got worse and worse. So the best help I can give you is to say that, in case you do have CFS, you're pushing yourself way too much. If you're feeling so tired and weak that you're in tears, your body is telling you to back off and rest. I think all your activities would be difficult for  a healthy person, much less someone who possibly has CFS. So you might want to look at everything you're doing and seriously consider cutting back. I hope your doctor's appointment this week goes well and you get some answers. 
  • Posted

Hi Lula,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

I don't know where you live or what your resources are, but if you have any friends or family or church members living nearby this is the time to hit them up for help.  Get them to move you, make up your bed in the new place and put the cold stuff in the refrigerator.  Then let the rest of stuff just sit wherever they leave it until you can find the energy to put it away.

If you don't have any of those people nearby and you cannot afford to hire the moving done, seek out a local charity, a church, a social organization.  There are people who will help you but you need to ask. 

Realize that you are not Wonder Woman, you don't have super-strength, and you can't do everything at once.  In fact there may be some things you cannot do at all.  If you are too overloaded you will overwork and they you will not be able to do anything.  

In your place I would ask the professor if I could get a delay on the coursework, maybe even till the next semester.  You need to prioritize your life.

Health, then work, then school, then housework; or whatever seems best to you, except always put health in the first place, because it is the most important thing.

The hardest thing is swallowing your pride and learning to ask for help when you need it.

Good luck,

Sunny

• Posted

have you tried vitamin supplements to keep you going along with good eating.
  • Posted

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to feeling better with CFS. This is a long going disease and the more you push your limits the worse you will feel. You will have to prioritize what is important and go from there. Most people with CFS lose their jobs or at the very least only work part time. You will figure out you can't do it all and have to accept the limitations of this disease. You will get better but it takes time...... Lots and lots of time. Sorry this is not more uplifting but it is the sad fact of this disease.
  • Posted

I think you will just have to rest more, Drink two litres of water a day don't drink alchohol, coffee or tea. This seems a bit harsh I know. I have had M.E. for 32 years I have to rest a lot and pace myself, but everybody is differrent. You seem to have an awfull lot on in your life, something will have to give!!!

Good luck, I am sure you will get through this and try and be positive.

• Posted

Babe, it looks like you are doing too much for someone who is feeling as fit as a fiddle, let alone someone who is lacking in energy.  It might be interesting to look down the burn-out route that's an awful lot you got on your plate!  So time to prioritze 1. Moving date is set and can't be changed. So stuff needs packing, transportation and bills sorting.  Pack-up in small bites (not 3 hrs at a go) Don't leave it to the last minute. Help would be great from anyone you know. 2. Full-time job. Got to keep the money coming in (holiday leave available? At least on Friday).3. Part-time course (this has to be the least important this week). It doesn't bring in the money and it hasn't got a deadline of this weekend. Do it when you have the time not when you find it time for this week. 4. Prioritze - Cancel the doctors appointment this week, make it next week. Sitting in a waiting room you have not got the time for this week! Now, don't forget to eat, sleep and drink the water. With CFS you are encouraged to take a 5 min break per hour or 10min break per 2hrs with a 30min break also in the day. Break equals dark room, calm music, relax.  Good luck (and if nothing else move the doctors appointment, he isn't going to be giving you a wonder drug there and then to help you through this week - sorry but it's true) xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.