Need help!! Medical professional advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i was wondering if someone from the medical profession could help me out. My girlfriend is a nurse and worked in a care home a few years ago. She was newly qualified and young/ slightly nervous due to her inexperience. While doing the medication rounds one night she thinks she may have mixed up medication for two patients. One was am elderly woman approx 86 years of age who was admitted to hospital the next day and passed away a week later due to mensentric ischemia. She thinks the medication that she may have been missed blood pressure medication - more than likely. I am trying to reassure her that this was not her fault and just an unfortunate coinscience. Can I get an expert opinion on this? Any research I have done on line indicates that this could not be possible. This is something that has ate away at my girlfriend for the past few months and has really affected her mental health. Any help would be grately appreiated. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If this occurred a long time ago and she has heard nothing about it by now, she can put her mind at ease.

• Posted

why do you say this? I assume it would have been flagged up in the death report? It is a case of guilt over fear of someone finding out.

• Posted

If she was mentioned in the death report she would have heard about it. An attorney could get you a copy of the death report to put your mind at ease.

• Posted

Hi mri6902

If the patient had an autopsy Toxicology tests would have found any medications or substances that should not have been in the patients body. If toxins or unusual medication or substances were found then it would have shown in the autopsy results and given as cause if death or part of the cause if that was the case. There would have been an investigation into the cause of death it if was medication that was not prescribed for the patient. I think your girlfriend can rest assured that she did not give the patient the wrong medication as it would have been picked up in the toxicology tests....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.