Need Help - PFT shows probable restriction

Posted , 5 users are following.

Friends

Am 46 yr old Male now. I am ex-smoker and now smoke once in a while during parties.My first PFT was done in 2011 and FEV1 was 60% with probable restriction. The Pulmo ordered for a HRCT and it came normal and didnt prescribe anything other than reducing weight.

I then did my PFT in 2015, the FEV1 was 69% and restriction probable . No action taken.

Next PFT done in 2016 , FEV1 was 72% and was a normal spirometery. 

PFT done in 2017, FEV1 came down to 65% restriction probable. The Pulmo told me i have mild COPD . I was put on inhaler.

PFT done today , FEV1 was 64% with restriction probable . The pulmo has asked for a CT scan and am going next week. 

I do excercise and pretty active . No signs of SOB . I do high intensity weight training .

My Echo was normal .  

I was diagnosed with OSA in 2016 and am on CPAP since then . 

I dont know what is the issue my PFT does goes up and down with no shortness of breath. 

Any pointers would help Me if anyone in the same boat.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have no idea what all those abbriviations stand for.
  • Posted

I agree what are all those abbreviations. My spirometer showed I have 65% lung capacity, on inhalers and oxygen therapy. The cpap is for someone who sleeps and stops breathing and does not know it? Is that correct?  Follow your doctor's advice and give up smoking all together. I stopped 25 years ago and just in the last 2 years this COPD showed up. My condition is mainly chronic bronchitis plus smoking did not help and living in cities with bad air quality. Hope you feel better soon. it is a lot to process and deal with. I am still doing that. Take care

• Posted

I am no sure either what all those abbreviations mean.  If you are concerned coz your FEV1 (lung function) varying by a bit each time this is normal.  It can be 1 figure one day and a few points different the next.  This is due to lots of things such as maybe having a mild infection,  the air quality,  if you have been doing a lot of exercise etc.  

Mine varies from 72% to 80% at any given time.  x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply . I was too concerned that i have a very liw lung function of 64% this time with no signs of SOB ( shortness of breath) . When lung function was 60% in 2011 after a CT scan was done there was no abnormalities .  going  again for a CT this week . I was thinking if obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) has a role in spirometer reading
  • Posted

You might be right about apnea having something to do with your problem. I have 65% lung capacity and was doing fine, no oxygen needed, when a few months ago SOB happened and tests taken showed not enough 02 was getting to the airways....anyway you may need a what you suggested. So sorry. None of us like this condition or the fact we are tied always or sometimes to an oxygen tube....I daily accept what is, do the exercises to strengthen lungs and heart, and always have hope that there will be more good days more day w/o 02  and so it it.
    • Posted

If you dont mind, how old are you? . When were you diagnosed with 65% capacity and how long after that you started to have SOB? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.