Need help to decide between monovision and mini-monovision

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 62 year old with a denser cataract in the right eye and less in the left eye. I have posted another tread with a question on whether I should get Symfony lens or not. I have decided to go with mono focal lens in both eyes. The input from everyone on this forum has helped me a lot in deciding. I have right eye cataract surgery scheduled for Friday, October 12th, 2018. My left eye surgery is on November 2nd, 2018.

I went to my doctor's office for pre ops and also met him to discuss the right eye lens details. From what I had told him initially he had planned to do mini monovision for me. I asked him in terms of distance at which I will need to keep my cell phone to read clearly. He said it would need to be 18 inches from my face. He said I may need reading glasses for fine print. When I asked him how about making cell phone text readable at 14 inches. He said he agrees with me and he can do that but I will need to keep my computer closer than 26 inches.

My current prescription details are as follows: OD: Sphere: -2.50 Cylinder: -0.75 Axis: 172 Add: +2.75  and  OS: Sphere: -1.0 Cylinder: -0.75 Axis: 017 Add: +2.75.

He said if we do cell phone reading at 14 inches it is mono vision and computer has to be moved closer. If we do cell phone reading at 18 inches it will be mini monovision. The computer can stay at 26 inches. I will need readers for fine prints.

Based on my prescription and no other eye problems, can anyone suggest which way I would be better off? I am unable to decide whether to go with monovision or mini monovision. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your input so far.

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anu1942, this is a quite delayed response to your thread...but if you are still around, I am curious to know where you are in the process these days, now 9 months after your surgery.

Did you proceed with IOL implantation in your left eye? If so, what distance target?

With gratitude,

tamarinda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.