Need Help Understanding Lab-work (won't see rheumy till after Christmas)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey Everyone!

I posted on here a few weeks, just a few days after my diagnosis. I really appreciated everyone's detailed responses and support! I go some labwork back a few days ago, and even though I have tried to contact both my Rheumy and Primary doctor I haven't had success. Some of my results (and physical pain that I think is related to them) is concerning me, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight. smile

1.) So, my main concern is with my Urinalysis results, so I'm writing about them first. My other labs and the ones I have questions about will be below it. But I don't understand my Urinalysis results at all, and have been having chronic pain in the bladder area, and increasing numbers for the abnormal items despite two courses of antibiotics in the last 2 months. After my last course, my primary care doctor told me he didn't want me on anymore yet because he thinks it might not be an infection, but something else.  He referred me to the Rheumy. But pain is getting much much worse. Could this have to with my kidneys? I really have no idea how to interpret. Here are the results (only abnormal):

-pH: 5 (barely low, slightly acidic)

-Protein 1+

-Bacteria 1+

-Mucus 4+

-Calcium Oxalate 4+

-Leukocyte Esterase 1+

-Appearance: Haxy

2.) So- my abnormal blood labs I pretty much understand, actually:

-Positive ANA, Titer: 1:320

-Speckled ANA pattern

-Positive SSA RO 52 (ENA): 71

-Low WBC

-High MPV: 11.5 (DONT KNOW WHAT THIS ONE MEANS?)

-Low Absolute Eosinophils: 0 (DON't KNOW WHAT THIS ONE MEANS?)

Any insight would be appreciated! smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I meant HAZY appearance, not HAXY! lol sorry!
  • Posted

Hello,

I'm a Registered Nurse, and though I understand most of the blood tests and so on I don't know what they all mean! So, here goes :

Urinalysis would indicate an infection, but the protein might be associated with some issues with the kidneys. If you have not done so already, you should get your urine tested for culture and sensitivity. That would identify the bug and best antibiotics to treat the infection.

MPV is mean packed volume, which is to do with the average number of blood cells in each litre of blood (if memory serves) and Eosinophils are a type of white blood cell that have a specific function in fighting infections and/or inflammation. I think 🤔.

Your best bet would be to visit a brilliant website I found which explains everything in really plain language: lab tests online, the US site is better than the UK site.

Good luck.

• Posted

I worked in the lab for many years . All of those that's off is inflammation . MVP can be elevated from inventions too . Some drs don't pay attention to those unless their way higher that's normal . Yours is what Ive seen on RA patients and lupus patients  like me but I have seen higher . I'm just learning about lupus as in lab we just ran blood and sent results . I didn't learn much about lupus in nursing but I did learn enough in the lab to know what values are what . Your urine has bacteria in it and protein due to kidney infection or uti . That is also common with lupus . I got the regeant test strips at home like the lab uses and watch my urine and it has protein , blood , leukocytes at times and it helps me know when it's a kidney stone . My lupus drs suggested I use those and you may want to but you a bottle from amazon or eBay . It tells you how to match the colors on the bottle . It's very easy . Also , make sure you get a good " clean catch " because cells can get into urine and contaminate it bu giving false positive results . Your white blood count reading low is also pointing toward viral but can run low with other things .  Your RDW can be high from infection or even smoking , stuff like that shows lack of oxygen but yours isn't real bad . Also you can have a high RDW and low H&H . These values can change daily . Just watch them close because to me it's pointing to autoimmune like lupus or RA . Eosinophils Are a type of white cell and inflammation or allergies can throw it out of whack . That's exactly how mine would read but my H&H woukd also be so low I needed infusion and I always have a fever . Keep a copy of all that so you can compare them . I'm sorry this was so long . I never know how to simply write one paragraph because it's hard to explain . Good luck to you !! 

• Posted

Oh , excuse my spelling and I seen you were concerned about urine more . The leukocytes is a major one to look along with protein & blood . You seem to have an infection in the kidney or uti . I meant that lupus patients can get those frequently .  The other is how much fluids your taking in . Those can be off with fever or not drinking enough . That's why I suggested you buy those regeant strips online . They are very helpful and you can test your urine 3xs a week or once . Their not the kind otc but professional ones . Their identical to what we use in lab and don't cost much & they test 10 parameters. The brand is regeant or you can order a brand called Areta . Amazon & ebay both carry them . You don't want the ones with uti only , you want to test all values , I hope this helps somewhat smile 

• Posted

Can you please update this more. Please.. I haven't gotten my lab results back but this sounds just like what I've been going through the past month. I'm all cleared of STDS. I was just wondering if you know if they tested for yeast in your bladder? I went to a urologist and they told me they think it has something to do with my muscles. But then why does it burn when I drink/eat too much sugar. When I was in NY I had to go to the hospital my legs were legit hard as a rock, red, and I could barely walk. Rash what not common things with my lupus but not as bad as this. My urine was cloudy and they found ketones in it. ALSO !! Antibiotics are what caused all of this symptom for me. I was perfectly fine. My lupus has never ever been this bad my whole life. The antibiotics that caused all of this was Amoxicillin. I'm just saying all of this because I don't know if they are making you worse or better. I'm also getting a second opinion for my urine.

• Posted

Should probably add I have pain in my bladder. Sometimes when I sit down to long it hurts as well. Idk if we have the same things but I would really like to know what your doctors tell you sad
    • Posted

He meme smile.

I feel for you in the pain, the fear, the anxiety, the questions, and the frustration. I really hope you feel better soon.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you much. I was just diagnosed with Lupus two weeks ago. ALL of my symptoms have been really severe. I have been dealing these bladder/kidney/urine problems for two months. But I dealt with it for three weeks before I even got the first antibiotic. However, my Rheumatologist is still running all kinds of tests. I just got this labwork back Thursday and I am just posting about it today- so my post is brand new, and I haven't even been able to read through everyone else's responses all the way yet. I just felt really bad cause I saw your message and know what it is like to feel so frustrated and to deal with such pain. I will keep you updated when I find things out though. 

I'm really sorry things are bad for you. sad

If you have any other questions about my symptoms feel free to ask, but until I hear from or see one of my doctors, (They can't get me in till after Christmas now), I won't have much more info for you. sad

• Posted

Ketones happen with sugar levels like diabetic . I have those in my urine and cloudy whenever I had infection . I was told drinking water a lot helps unless they are extremely high ! I also had them show up with kidney stones and whenever I lost my appetite from not eating . Amoxicillin may very well be causing your symptoms , maybe your allergic ?  , I'm not sure but you sound so miserable ! I wish I had more answers ! Try drinking a lot and see if that helps . Get those strips to test your urine too . That way you can check . Their so easy . You just dip in sample of urine and it reads  10 parameters including ketones .  Good luck to you ! & call dr on Monday if you can! 

• Posted

Sorry for such a late reply! But I see I must have missed that part of your post. I hope everything turns out well for you. But yes I would love to hear an update on. Thank you cheesygrin
    • Posted

Sorry for such a late reply!! But thank you for telling me this. No one in New York would explain my results. But I remember one doctor telling me that it could have been a late allergic reaction to Amoxicillin. Which I don't understand very much because I stopped taking a whole month ago. Oh yes, I have a ton of doctor appointments this month with urine, blood, and rheumatology. I never knew you can get Ketones in your urine during an infection. This makes me a little more hopeful that I'm getting closer to figuring this out and I will go find those strip test! And yea all I have been drinking is water I notice when I drink sugary stuff the pain gets worse. Thank you for this reply!

• Posted

Gosh I had all that stuff you both are describing . My flare has kept me in bed all week ! Im still learning all this to and my foot I can't feel and honestly looks broke . It's red and swollen and I keep kidney stones and infections .  Theres also a name of repeated utis that hurt and you have to avoid certain foods and soft drinks . I'm blank on what that called ! I hate whenever that happens but it's miserable ! I will ask my friend what it's called and get back with you . As far as blood tests , I was told that there's so many & they go by other symptoms to help get a dx . I know one thing you feel trapped in your body and it seems like everyday something new happens and it's very depressing ! Good luck to you both & hopefully someone that's dealt with lupus longer than us will chime in . In the mean time I will find out about the urinary tract problems . 

• Posted

Hey Everybody!

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I have been reading through all of them as you have been posting, trying to consider everything you said and trying to be patient in waiting to hear back from my docs. I really appreciate all of the thorough responses.

I finally got a hold of my Rheumatologist today, who told me that he does not think it is a UTI and he also doesn't think it is autoimmune related. He referred me to a urologist.

However, I have been becoming really skeptical about my Rheumatologist. Between never being able to get a hold of him and the different things he has been saying, I am thinking of switching. So don't take how my situation has been going to heart and apply it to yourself if you are struggling too, as I am not sure I have a very good doctor right now.

I will keep you all posted. rolleyes rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.