Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've been told off my doctor that my TSH level is 3.77 (0.4-4.0) is that a

Normal range? I have been on 100mg of levothyroxine a day for about a

year now it was increased from 50mg. My symptoms are now being put

down to me going through the menopause.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

thank you Gillian, I'm having my blood test tomorrow now, it's been brought forward. So it will be interesting to see what my GP says. I can't see him doing anything if the levels are normal. I'm probably going through menopause as well, I had a full hysterectomy in 2001 but has HRT implants  for many years but stopped it about 3 years ago because the hospital clinic stopped doing them. 

Ive been soo cold the past few days, I put my clothes on and my dressing gown and wrapped up in blankets and still can't get warm. X

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I have not heard of feeling cold as a symptom of menopause, it's more feeling hot and sweaty, isn't it? There is a metabolic temperature test you can take. Take your temperature first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. If it is below 36.5,(37 C is normal), this is an indicator of under active thyroid. You need to take it for about a week and then get the average. Google Dr Broda Barnes for further information about it. 
  • Posted

Hi gillian

Your TSH is very high end of the range. Its a real pain in the rear end that doctors insist on going by blood test results instead of treating us by symptoms. You could check your core body temperature as suggested but I'd be surprised if your doctor will go by this. It certainly doesnt sound like menopause to me - ask to see an endocrinologist and try to find one thats sympathetic to symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.