Need help understanding the symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I am 37 and have been in the middle of a living for the past couple of months.  It started at work where out of the blue I had a wave of warmth rush over me with pins and needles up my arm and chest.  I thought i was about to collapse until I regained my breath minutes later.  I went to the ER where they ran an ECG and some blood work.  They told me I was fine and not to worry.  Since then,. I am constantly feeling strange physical symptoms, such as:

numbness in my arms and legs

facial numbness and twitching

Chest pains and tightness

dizzy and lightheaded

rapid heart beat

heart flutters and palps

Dry mouth

metallic taste in my mouth

tremendous ear pressure and ringning 

and many others

I have had numerous visits to the ER.  4 ecg's, an echocardiogram, a stress test and countless blood work ups.  All have come back normal.  I get some or all of these symptoms daily and not sure what to do, and i feel like I'm in limbo.  I have never had anxiety prior to this, to my knowledge, and I'm having trouble understanding.  Is it normal for anxiety suffers to feel symptoms everyday?  As much as i want to accept it, i feel like i want to run to the ER every time I have a symptom in case they have missed something. Can anyone help because I am starting to feel so hopeless.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

You need to remember that your tests are normal and that many of the things you are talking about are classic symptoms of anxiety. The problem with anxiety si that it can be habitual - so that some days you get some symptoms, other days different ones but that they are always there, even if you don't feel anxious.

Thinking about the symptoms and going to ER for more tests will just increase your anxiety. The best thing for you to do now is to manage your symptoms through diet, relaxation and in other ways. Try and focus on things that make you feel positive.

It's an uphill struggle but is worth doing to get back the quality of your life.

Hope that's been helpful for you.

• Posted

Hi George. I completely understand how you feel. I suffer from severe health anxiety. It is always the worst though when I get ill or feel little aches and pains and then I immediately think I have cancer or am dying. Yesterday I went to the doctor's and she checked me over and said I seem fine, but that there is a very strong possibility that I have hypothyroidism. It is extremely common and can cause loads of physical symptoms as well as anxiety. Have you been checked for this? I am having my bloodwork done tomorrow so I am hoping that is what it is so I can have some answers. Everyday for the last two weeks I have been suffering from what seems a strange tension headache on the left side of my head and temple and muscle tension as well in my neck and through my traps on the left and also the front sides of my throat. It's not that it's unbearable, but a nuisance more than anything. I also am exhausted all the time and have frequent headache spells. Perhaps you have a thyroid issue as well? If so, not to worth it is easily treatable. And if you're like me and worry about cancer, don't. We are very unlikely to have it. The doctor put it in perspective for me yesterday and I felt so much better. Just think of it like this: we only ever hear about the bad cases of  cancer in  younger people, it is very rare and we never hear about the successes. Most people whom have or get cancer are much older with age related cancers. Not as many young people suffer as we think from ages 20-60. Also, more people are surviving than not today. I hope this helps and sorry if I went over board. Just trying to help smile
    • Posted

Thanks Kristen. I ask at my last ER visit to throw a thyroid test in since I was there and they told me it came back clear. I was kind of hoping they would say they found something to be honest.  Then I would atleast know what I'm facing.  It's the uncertainty that's really affecting me. 
    • Posted

Hi Kristen, What are your main symptoms of hypothyrodism? I also have severe health anxiety. It's completely hellish.

Kristen, what have you done to help you with the health anxiety? CBT didn't help me.

• Posted

Hi Ramona. I'm so sorry you have anxiety too. It is SO Awful!! My symptoms are dull headaches on the left side of my head rifht down to the left side of my neck throuugh the left side of my shoulders and feont side of my neck. I'm also exhausted all the time, anxious, nervous, dizzy etc. It also causes anxiety and depression. To help with my anxiety I have to talk myself down. It works for a while and after  the doctors tell me I am okay. I can be okay for a whole, but when I get some random symptom I freak out for ages! I am always afraid I am going to die you and leave my 14 month old and husband behind. I haven't had CBT yet, but I am waiting to. I also started acupuncture the other day so hopefully that will help. 

What do you freak out ocer and what are your symptoms? X

• Posted

I'm sorry it came back negative, I know what you mean! I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me. I just want to stop feeling like crap. It is so frustrating! Do you get headaches often?  Hope you can get some relief soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.