Need help with Alcohol Withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been a drinker for quite a number of years, heavily since the last three years. A couple of pegs in the morning, two more between breakfast and lunch, two more after lunch and so on. I would not drink too much at once and nobody even noticed that I was high. I got to a point when I could not even do basic jobs without a peg. That’s when I decided to stop, tried for a long time but could not even last 4 hours. Oddly when I could not drink and would act and look crazy my wife would ask me, are you drunk. I finally got myself to a remote place, thought ill have my last big drink and stop. Half way through, I was filled with remorse and poured the bottle down. That was five days ago, the first two days were horrible, I could not sit, could not stand, anxiety, shivers, tremors, fear, nausea, vomiting, insomnia etc. I could not even hold down water, I gulp a sip and it would come right back out. I then got lucky, access to alcohol but resisted. Felt confident and decided to through with it. Day three all the vomiting was gone, anxiety/fear/nausea dropped. The day was wonderful, I ate very well, never had such a wonderful day in a long time. Had some decent sleep. Just as I thought the withdrawal was behind me. I started getting Body Tremors, very mild ones though. And in the night I started hearing faint singing, went out to see who the hell is playing music at this time of the night, It was silent outside. That was auditory hallucinations. They were gone in a short while and then I slept. Today morning was great, except slight shaking of hands, after a good breakfast, I thought well and left for office. All fine at office as well but then once again I hear faint singing.

Bodily I feel fine, just slight hand shaking, occasional slight body tremors and had two auditory hallucinations so far. Do you think I should go see a doctor. Can the withdrawal symptoms get worse after getting better.

I don’t do drugs, just cigarettes. Any advice would be helpful.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The major danger zone from withdrawal has passed. You need to consume lots of fluids, calories and vitamins now that they have been depleted for so long. The shaking hands is most likely from malnutrition since you have not had alcohol in so many days. It sounds like you have gone 5 days without any alcohol which is a great accomplishment but was very dangerous. Good luck to you on the road to recovery. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Posted

We always try to advise to go and get checked out by a doctor as we are not medical professionals but I agree with Robin2015. Definitely the worst is passed and the chance of delirium tremens has passed after 5 days. When I was detoxing from drinking 20+ shots of vodka a day I had no script for librium and had to taper slowly. This was after having medically detoxed multiple times. I know I was hallucinating pretty heavily and probably had at least one mild seizure. I am now a completely changed person who follows TSM with a script for Naltrexone. You might wanna look into it to see if it can help with relapses and just living your life. Keep posting keep asking any questions

• Posted

So do you think I should consult a doctor now, or since I have gone 5 days without going to one and I feel ok, I should just carry on

• Posted

Hi jobolt. You could see a doctor but you have passed the worst by now. Great! I will be celebrating 6 years sober on 31 st December this year. Stopped stone cold like you and got over the first week ok. Felt really strange, sweaty, sleepless, tummy upset but gradually improved. No more dread, remorse or guilt for the first time after 30+ years of drinking albeit not drinking heavily..only the last 5 years due to recession, loosing job, lost income, wife loosing job etc. Enough about me. You should be so proud of yourself!

• Posted

Similar case with me, my drinking got worse after I lost my job. Just drank all day, since I had all the time in the world, maybe due to anxiety of the future as just after I lost my job we found out that we are having our third child. I had given up all hope of finding a job after trying for a year and a half. I then started a business, luckily that went well, now i had both the money and the time. i could step out anytime and step in anytime without restrictions. Bad recipe for an alcoholic. i would leave early for work or so everyone thought, have a couple of shots, and cool of in the office. My staff were amazed that they would find me already in office everyday when they arrive and i would still be in office after they leave. Only i know why, lol.

• Posted

have any of you had racing heart and palpitations?! Im a heavy drinker and am quitting, because my heart feels sooo weak and Im dizzy all the time. little excursion makes my heart race and Im scared of afib or flutter

• Posted

Good idea to stop if you are a heavy drinker and for how m any yrs i wonder? Heart palpitations are possible due to your condition and your stress levels. I was certainly very stressed when i was drinking and always looking for that next drink and often hidden away in the House! Make a plan. I stopped 6 years ago 31 st December 2012. as good a day as any to stop. Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.