Need help with anger management for ARMD

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband was diagnosed with Dry ARMD about 2 years ago.

His vision has slowly been deteriorating and the more it does he becomes more short tempered. He throws the phone because he has a hard time dialing or seeing who's calling, he snaps at everybody when we try to help him with something and stays that way for hours.

He gets very short tempered when he can't see something or he can't see well enough to do simple house repairs.

He had been in maintenance repairs all his life working for a hospital. he did all sorts of construction projects and now he has a hard time just screwing in a screw.

Additionally, he has chronic lower back pain, which hinders his movement and just received a pacemaker.

I can understand how frustrating it can be because i also suffer from chronic pain and other medical issues but I don't know what to do.

I know it's part of the grief staging but I'm just at a loss. He's still at the anger phase and I don't see him being able to move on from there.

I would appreciate any ideas on how I can make this transition easier for him.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Meile 

Everyone  handles  problems different  and losing one's sight is a very traumatic time 

I have wet amd in one eye and dry in the other and I too get frustrated with things I can't do anymore, my solution is to concentrate on things I can do and look for new interests.

As for using the phone, I use a mobile from Doro which has large easy to read keys, it's a basic phone with no bells and whistles and its cheap!

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.