Need help with Blood results interpretation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if I could have either an iron and/or vitamin B12 deficiency.

GP arranged to test for anemia recently but he only ordered Hb, which was within normal range.

I had assumed he would do a full iron and ferritin test, plus b12. Silly me!

My medical history is over a decade of very heavy periods, so surely my iron stores must be low, plus hypothyroid and a couple years on omeprazole (a proton pump inhibitor) both of which can cause low vitamin b12.

I am barely functioning.

Below are results of bloods from 3 years ago, which seem to show some low levels, although they are within their quoted ranges. At the time, due to my symptoms, I was given a fibromyalgia diagnosis but I don't think I do have that.

Hb 129 g/L. Range 120-160

MCV 85.4 fl range 85-105

MCH 27.9 pg range 27-32

MCHC 326 g /L range 320-360

RBC was at the high end 4.65 range 3.8-4.8

I don't know my current Hb but I'm a little worried I skewed that by taking strong iron tablets a few days before my test.

Like I said I'm barely functioning. My latest 'symptom' is my skin is completely bone dry and a painful scratched mess from top to toe and although the GP keeps giving me antihistamines they do nothing. I read recently about a lady with the same issue and it was a b12 deficiency. Unfortunately I don't think my b12 levels have ever been checked.

If anyone can shed some light on the above test results I would be very grateful.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

When was the last time your TSH wash checked? Have you had a T4 done? Your thyroid medication may need to be increased. Look at your fingernails to see if you have any jagged cuticles, vertical white ridges on the nail. Hypothyroidism causes fatigue, dry skin that is very itchy. I'm sure you are aware of this, but I would push for a T4, CBC with diff, ferritin test, complete metabolic panel

• Edited

Hi, yes my thyroid levels were checked the other week too and they are fine.

• Posted

Then get more in depth bloodwork! Praying you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Gina, just thought I'd give an update. Saw a different doc today and she went through my blood tests with me. (Apparently the other GP had ordered a complete blood test after all.)

Anyway, it looks like my albumin level is under the lower threshold, and apparently albumin is quite important! Also, although my tsh is within normal range, if its below a certain number then their new protocol is to increase medication , so she has increased my dose of levothyroxine. Hopefully that will also help increase my albumin level as hypothyroid can cause it to be low!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.