Need help with diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

first off I'm sorry to everyone who has this horrible virus.

I have a few questions regarding symptoms, I saw a dr. following a very heavy weekend of partying due to a very unusually sore throat. He checked my glands and brushed it off as Mono and told me to rest up for a few weeks.

I'm going in for legitimate testing tomorrow.

I have mild/moderate fatigue but feel like it could be due to hyperchondria.

1. How long did the initial sore throat last or is it meant to last the whole duration of Glandular fever?
  2. Were you all fatigued the moment the very sore throat kicked in or did that only happen later?
  3. Did you all lose your appetite?

I'm still hungry all the time and feel like i could just have a flu with only sore throat symptoms.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sore throat only lasted a couple of days for me.

I was jot fatigued when I first felt the sore throat. It was about a week later that i really felt sick.

I never really lost my appetite completely, just ate less. I did pose 12 pounds though just I think it was due to my body fighting the virus.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

how long were you out of commission for? are you back to normal now?

• Posted

My first symptom was on 15 AUG 18. I felt really bad for about a month, then back and forth until probably mid-Feb.

I am feeling pretty normal these days. I get fatigued occasionally, but mostly back to normal life.

I also went to a holistic doctor (since my regular doctor said there was nothing he could do) and I was on some supplements to build my immune system back up. I truly think that helped me. I also did acupuncture to assist with my immune and nervous systems.

• Posted

Hi Florian,

Very sorry to hear that you have been feeling unwell, you're doing the right thing checking in with the doctor and hopefully getting a blood test can clarify whether it is mono or not and that it can put your mind at rest.

It was a long time ago now that I had the virus, but it was a horrible one for sure. I felt fatigue from the very outset, a sore throat I think was a symptom initially but not something that bothered me as much as the fatigue and generally feeling unwell. I think the loss of appetite can be very common particularly early on with the virus as you just don't at all feel yourself.

Hoping very much that the tests show that it's not mono and maybe just another less intense virus, but even if it does show mono don't panic because it does get better - it's important to rest and look after yourself, it can take a bit of time to shake it off fully but you will get there with some time. Just one step at a time though see what the blood tests show, hope that you don't have to wait too long to find out. Let us know how you get on with those and can offer some further tips / advice if it does turn out to be mono.

Hoping that you feel much better soon and hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

I had sore throat right at the beginning and it lasted 10 days. It was unbearable and felt like I was swallowing razor blades. It's gone now, but I sometimes get a tingle in the throat but seems to disappear the next day.

• Posted

Hi Dodge,

Just wondering how you are doing at the moment? I hope that you are seeing some signs of improvement and recovery, it's been a long road for you I know. Very much just want to offer a word of encouragement, not to give up, that there is recovery and freedom from this thing ahead - thinking about you.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig, I'm doing a lot better thank you. I still have the odd moment where I feel a bit down and tired, but they dont seem to last long. I'm going out a lot more now and I'm full time back at work. I've started to drink my first alcohol again which was tough at first, but I seem to be ok with it now....will still take it easy as I'm not 100% yet, still something lingering I me whether it's like very low viral feeling or a pain in my head.....hoping it's the last symptoms to go.

• Posted

Hi Dodge,

Really pleased to hear that you have been doing a lot better and have managed to get back to work full-time - that really is a tremendous achievement and you have shown great courage to get there - that is true of everyone who gets back to work again after this illness because it can be a frightening step to take when not knowing how you're body is going to react.

Yes definitely hoping that these lingering symptoms will go too, my experience was that all symptoms do go with time, even the most stubborn ones so hang in there and hoping things can continue to move in the right direction for you over this coming period!

Craig

• Posted

My throat pain from mono lasted 7 weeks. It was more pain on swallowing like something stabbing my left tonsil than sore but it was also sore. I was not terribly tired at first I actually got more fatigued about 3 weeks into being sick. I didnt have terrible appetite loss but I ate less due to the throat pain.

• Posted

Hoping you are doing a little better Jenna. You've been through such a tough time with loss and illness lately, just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and wishing you better times ahead.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.