Need help with lab results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone and I'm sorry if this is a big post but these past few days I had some blood work due to my stomach issues that have been bothering me for the past 6 months ( i made another post about 2 months ago) to figure out what could be the issue and it turns out my TSH were pretty high (?). So I went to endocrinologist who told me that should have a couple more things checked. So all in all:

My levels are:

Tsh: 5.4 (0.35-4.20)

FT 3: 3.36 (1.90-4.40 pg/ml)

FT 4: 1.26 (0.93-1.71 ngram/dl)

Anti TPO: <5.00 ( ❤️4 IU/ml)

Anti TG: 18.46 ( <115 IU/ml)

Also my cholesterol levels were a little higher than normal: 207 (max is 200)

This mainly started due to high level stress and it really affected my gut. Never really had diarrhea and maybe some constipation but my bowel changes were inconsistent.I also used to have a lot of bloating which has disappeared somehow.I have also been having issues with my sleeping schedule and maybe 2-3 times a slight heartburn.Im gonna have another meeting with the endocrinologist in about 2 weeks but until then maybe someone here who has had something similar or knowledge of thyroid issues can help me understand.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, since your thyroid hormone levels are normal there is a possibility that your elevated TSH is a false positive test result. For example supplements containing biotin may interfere with TSH measurements.

• Posted

Hello and thanks for your reply! As far as i know i haven't been consuming any biotin supplements, if anything it could be typical foods we all eat.

• Posted

How are you feeling? Did your stomach problems improved? Are you taking any thyroid medication?

• Posted

Hi John,

I have had Hashi for over 14 years. I can only speak from my experience but if my TSH was as high as yours is (5.4) I would feel horrible. The real range you need to consider is between 3-0.5. I feel best when my TSH is around 0.5-1. Anything above that and I start having bad symptoms (fatigue, hair loss, irritability, depression). Also I take levothyroxine instead of synthroid. While chemically they are the same, your body doesn't respond to them the same. I have worse symptoms when on synthroid as compared to levo. Also you can try a natural thyroid hormone such as Armour thyroid which is a dessicated pig thyroid. I personally have an allergy to it but others I know have had great success with it. Don't accept the ranges your doc prescribes if you continue to have bad symptoms. Demand more.

Lastly, I switched to a vegetarian diet 10 years ago and it almost eliminated my stomach issues. I eat really healthy, eating mainly whole foods and nothing processed. Changing your diet to a healthy whole food diet is a must if you want to feel good.

hope this helps:)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.