Need help with Paroxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello my name is omar and this is my very first post on this forum. I have been prescribed 20 mg of Paroxetine with 0.25 mg of xanax twice daily for my panic attacks six weeks ago. I started with 10 mg for six days and two or three xanax pills to relieve the attacks. Yesterday I began with 20mg Paroxetine but woke up with a burning sensation in my back, anger that was overwhelming and then came one of e the worst panic attacks in my life. I took 0.5 xanax to calm down but this burning sensation did not leave my all day. Is this normal? Could this be a side effect of Paroxetine? Or should I increase the dose of xanax for a couple of days? Thank you

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Omar, 

Personally puting professional advice "Aside", `I would stay well clear of Paroxetine and if it is not to late - to try and stop and ask to be switched to a Beta Blocker (Propranolol) as a less invassive measure. 

Then move towards education about anxiety with therapy as first line treatment. 

All the Best.....

• Posted

Hi I must agree with the last post. Your you might end up depending on the drug. I was given diazepams 7 years ago and I am still trying to come off them and believe me it int easy. So really look into your meds before your body will depend on it. I am on sertreline and amitripytline and basically staying strong and always remember your not alone.
    • Posted

Thanks Brian,

I have heard a lot about Paroxetine and it's side effects, withdrawal symptoms and relative "addictive" properties. I will consult with my physician about adding propranolol to my treatment, but still,my panic attacks have been so severe in the past month that I decided visiting my physician to take care of them because I couldn't anymore. I don't know if you are familiar with the depression following days of constant waves of panic attacks, but this is the worst feeling I have been through, that's why I think I would cover both with Paroxetine.

I can't afford therapy right now and have read about the high efficiency of self help websites and/or books, do you recommend any?

Thank you

• Posted

Undoubtedly it's the drug that is causing the burning sensation since it came on with the introduction of that drug. But you should consult with your doctor before stopping any medication abruptly. I know for a fact that beta blockers should be fazed out gradually so it could be the same with any drug. For information on drugs, your pharmacist is the expert...since that is what he studied for 4 - 6 years in university. 

Another poster, David, wrote yesterday and today about severe anxiety aggravated by the fact that he could not sleep. He named 3 drugs that he is taking. I looked up two of them and one of them CAUSES sleeplessness. The message is clear; ask the doctor, pharmacist and check on line the side effects of any medications that you are about to take.

To stack the cards in your favour, STOP: coffee...even in the morning, tea, alcohol, colas and chocolate. Get plenty of exercise which is a huge stress buster...and eat well. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies (6 - 10 servings per day).

Listen to your body. If the message is that your mind needs peace and quiet, listen to it. If you are around negativity and are feeling stressed, leave. Make time for walking in outdoor light which affects the pineal gland behind the eyes and raises one's mood. And if you can, walking in nature is very therapeutic.

Therapy as Brian suggests is ultra important. And if you need it to complement natural, lifestyle changes, with a prescription drugs, take it. You may find that you need it to get through a rough patch and can taper off down the road. But please, Omar, do your best to be good to yourself and make all the lifestyle changes mentioned above. Your mind and body will love you for it.

• Posted

I have found that the burning sensation and increased aggravation are less common side effects for Paroxetine, I think that the burning and agitation I felt this morning precipitated for my panic attack. Nevertheless, I should consult my doctor tomorrow. I'm fearing the worst.

I need some time off I guess from all the stress in my life right now, I live in one of the most troubled regions in the middle east and the constant fear we have been through for the past couple of years has been more than I can handle. Financial difficulties, some old issues. They all need resolving. Thank you for your advice Robin, I will try to follow them in my next step.

• Posted

Hello Omar, There are so many people experiencing burnout...including my daughter last year. When you put a lot of pressure on yourself...and there are high expecatations from employers or financial worries...and then add the stress you are under because of the Middle East situation, it is no wonder you like so many others are buckling under the stress.

One thing I learned from my daughter's experience and the advice she got from her doctor is that the earlier you get help and take a break, the better. 

One area of your life where you do have control is how you care for your body.

Good luck and I hope that there is a quick resolution to the difficulties in your part of the world.

Robin

• Posted

Burnout is the exact term of what I'm going through. I do need to take a break asap. Thanks for all the above advice robin.

I re-visted my doctor today and he is switching me to escitalopram for the next couple of months. I feel such a relief being off Paroxetine after all the bad side effects, he said that its more common that you know! some people tolerate it, others (like yourself) don't, its natural.

On the other hand, I'm leaving my current job and the country in about a month. A new beggining with something to help smile the thought itself makes me more relaxed.

Wish you all the best

• Posted

I'm leaving Syria to our neighbouring country Lebanon for now, Hopefully I will have the chance to leave with my family to a better place in the future.
    • Posted

How sad to see your country in such turmoil.

In retirment, I teach English (meetup) as a second language to immigrants here in Montreal, Canada. Because this is a French province with a huge English population, there are many people who come here from your part of the world; even refugees from Syria. 

If you considered coming here, Canada accepts well educated people only; with degrees in computer science, engineering, drafting and other technical fields... The best course is to apply to study here (HEC is an excellent university in French...que certainement vous parlez courammement) because employers value Canadian education and with a 'stage', Canadian experience. I wish you all the very best and may you find peace and contentment where you live but also within yourself. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.