Need help with pip

Posted , 6 users are following.

my husband has been told his pip as ended today he was on Dla for 20 years and pip for 2 had a review a few weeks ago now it's ended we are a pealing  but we have no money now as pip was due to be paid next week will we get any off this payment does any one know 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

for the best advice contact your local citizens advice whether that be via phone or in person they can help with this
  • Posted

Hello Diane,

I'm sorry to hear this it must be distressing for you.  I'm personally not able to help, but I'm sure Denise or someone will read your post soon and be able to offer some advice.  x

• Posted

Hi Diane, 

His PIP should have continued for 4 weeks after the decision was made, then payments will stop. 

Is there any reason you don’t have any money? Do you work? What other benefits are either of you claiming please?

• Posted

Then other than housing benefit and council tax reduction there's nothing else you can claim. You'll need to put in a request for the MR for the PIP. If that fails and only 20% of these are successful then you'll need to take it to Tribunal. Those that appear at their Tribunal have the best success rate with 65% having a decision in their favour.

If the PIP wasn't paid for those extra 4 weeks then you'll need to ring DWP and ask why he's not been paid. Unfortunately payments will not continue while you wait for the MR or Tribunal date.

• Posted

Thankyou for your help how long when you have them every thing for mr does it take them to make desi on 
  • Posted

we both get esa as a couple I'm on pip my self with mental health  I rang them they said they owe him 16 days  how can you go from having full pip or Dla for years to get no points off atos x

• Posted

He'll be paid the money he's owed. It happens to a lot of people unfortunately. DLA was also very different to PIP. As i said if the MR is successful then another award will be given and payments will start again. Any money will be back dated to the date of the original decision. This will be the same for the Tribunal, if you get that far. Good luck and hopefully a decision will go in his favour.

• Posted

If you were both claiming the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) on top of your ESA then this will also stop. This is because of your partners PIP claim ending. Which will now mean you're not entitled to this premium because one of the criiteria is you live alone, or classed as living alone or both recieving Mid/high rate care DLA, Daily living PIP.

If you're concerned or not sure if you recieve this premium then i'd advice you to ring Dwp and ask.

• Posted

MR decision times vary depending on backlog in your area. Pleasee bear in mind that 80% of MR decisions remain the same, so the likely hood of you having to take it to Tribunal is high. It can be a long process. Good luck.
  • Posted

Yes I new that would happen it's all so wrong just can't see how we are going live my anxity is so bad with this going on 

• Posted

Hi Diane

I agree with the advice you've been given.

There is a way you could increase your benefit income as a couple whilst waiting for the MR and Tribunal if it goes that far.

Your husband could claim Carers Allowance for looking after you providing you are on care element of PIP. This is the equivalent amount of SDP, is it feasible he could be classed as your carer?

I would speak with CAB about this if you're going to see them and look at gov.uk 're CA.

Take care

Wendy x

• Posted

Claiming Carers Allowance would be less than what they were claiming for SDP. Couples SDP rate per week is £124.90. Carers Allowance is an exxtra £34.60 per week, i make that almost £90 less per week. Better than nothing yes, but still not the equivalent to SDP.

• Posted

Yes less than couple rate SDP but much better than not getting anything ☺ x
  • Posted

Denise I'm sure you're thinking of Carer Premium, Carers Allowance itself is same as single SDP, rates are on gov.uk.....

• Posted

I know exactly what i'm talking about, i don't need to see rates, but thanks. I claim Carers Allowance myself.

The rates are as follows...CA = £62.70 per week. When claiming an income related benefit such as JSA, ESA or IS the Carers Allowance is taken of the IR benefit and a premium of £34.60 per week is added to the Income related benefit. This is because of the overlapping benefits rule.

Carers Allowance then pay you the £62.70 per week. This means that the person claiming both benefit will be JUST £34.60 per week better off. They will not be £62.70 better off per week.

SDP single person rate is £62.45 per week.

SDP couples rate is £124.90 per week. If Diane and her partner were both claiming Income related ESA AND daily living rate of PIP then it's most likelt they were claiming SDP at couples rate.

In this case you're wrong, sorry.

• Posted

Denise I appreciate you were giving the net result and in your ning you were giving the net result in money in your reply.

However for those not experienced in the benefits system I believe individuals without that knowledge should be given the correct figure for the benefit in question which is as you say less the ESA in payment plus the Carer Premium.

Otherwise people coming on here night think the lower figure was for CA itself .

I wasn't suggesting you needed to look at gov.uk but the lady whose thread it was

I believe doing that can help people become more independent.

Sorry if you don't like my input and I think this proves I'm right to bid you all farewell.

I wish you all the very best but my comments are just brining me grief and I've got enough crap of my own to deal with

Can't be doing with this, seems like points scoring not helping anyone.

• Posted

All i was doing was giving Diane the correct info step by step. There's so many people that claim these overlapping benefits and then think they're worse off because that's exactly what it looks like.

I don't want Diane thinking that she's going to be claiming that £62 per week, when infact it's £34.60.

Take care Wendy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.