Need help with preventing Reoccurrence

Posted , 5 users are following.

In August of last year I developed an anal fissure. I vividly remember the day it happened and the agonizing pain. For the 5 months that followed it was torture. I was so close to having surgery. I tried EVERY and I mean EVERY remedy out there and eventually I found what worked for me (I’ll post more on that later). As of January I was completely healed. However, last month I discovered I had a hernia (most likely from all the constipation and straining etc). I had to have surgery to repair the hernia and of course pain meds following the surgery. Now I have not been to the bathroom in a week and I am terrified of tearing again. I have had the urge to go and start to go but can tell the stool is too hard to pass. Can anyone advise what to do???

I have heard mineral oil enemas can work in this situation but when I was in the height of my pain with my fissure I tried one and I swear I have PTSD. The pain was so bad that night I was literally shaking with rigors and I felt like I was coming out of my skin. I was so close to having my husband take me to the ER.

So...yay or nay on the enema?? If nay...what should I do?? 😬 I have already been taking natural calm magnesium supplement which does usually work for me but (pardon the detail) I wonder if this particular stool is just too far along for the magnesium to make a difference. I’m basically keeping it from coming out at this point because I’m scared. 

Please help! 🙏??🙏??🙏??

P.S. THANK YOU for this amazing forum. It seriously got me through one of the worst times in my life. Obviously not a topic readily discussed so the info I found here was a lifesaver. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Glycerin suppositories from any pharmacy will hep, plus lots of cocoanut oil around your anus.
  • Posted

Hi Leah have you tried Laxido (UK) or mirialax (US)? It’s a stool softening laxative that works by increasing the water content of the stool, when I first tried it I had completely liquid stools for the first couple of days while my body adjusted to it so it’s maybe worth trying for this particular one you’re scared to pass! I continue to take two sachets a day and it keeps my BMs soft, along with a load of water and fruit and veg.
    • Posted

My husband had the same problem after a heart bypass, the gp came out. He was told to take four sachets of Laxido, make them up and drink slowly until they worked. They worked just after he started on the third one. I take Laxido plus magnesium every day. I’m on strong drugs that slow the system down.
  • Posted

I feel your pain and worry. September of this year I had a fissure and on the rare days that I am constipated, it scares me.  Are you taking stool softeners? I have taken two or three daily for years. It certainly helps you go and it will keep your stools loose.  I can see your concern with the enema. That’s going to get it out but it could come out with force. I would try drinking as much water in one setting that I can. Also, lie down in the tub and try to relax and go in the tub. I know that sounds gross but it is not as painful.  I have a big day that has massager on it. That helps me, as well. There are certain truck stops/restaurants  that carry bidets. I don’t know what state you’re in and I can’t think of the name of the truck stops  that carry the bidets, but you could probably Google it.  Or, if you have a massager, try laying down on your tummy and run  the massager on the back of your buttocks. 

Good luck.

Sharen

• Posted

I take laxido twice a day  even tho my fissure has healed 

Lots of broccoli

Lots of water 

Try two Senna at night too until it passes then strict 2 laxido 

Myfissure healed but I still take laxido religiously 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.