Need help with strange pain where abscess was

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys I'm new to this , so please bare with me. I had a perianal abscess drained and packed in June. Since then I have had a constant oozing and days of excruciating pain. I have an appt with the surgeon next week to see if there is a fistula. But that last few days I have had strange random pains that feels like it is shooting up inside me. It's definitely coming from the same area where the abscess was. It can last for a few mins and go again or like today sporadic shooting pains all day. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Sorry for the late reply. The Patient website has been undergoing a revamp so notifications of new questions have not been emailed out and I have not been able to login until today so I have just seen this now.

It sounds like they did not manage to clean out all the infection but I guess you will know that by now as you will have see the surgeon again by now.

How did you get on? Let us know please.

• Posted

No problem thanks for getting back to me. Yeah I had my appt with the surgeon, and I am booked in for surgery next week for a fistula. They said it's pretty low down so it shouldn't be a major thing. Just wondering now if anyone has a ball park time line of how long I will be out of work? I work in retail and stand all day.

• Posted

Everyone is different. Depends on many things. How big is your wound, how well you cope with pain, how quickly you heal, etc. I would say two weeks but some people are less and some are more.

The more rest you have, lying down try not to move, the quicker it gets a chance to heal. Not easy to do but I found that shortened my healing time considerably.

The other thing is keeping the area extremely clean. Sitz baths if you are allowed and I used the shower head a lot.

If you can face it, up your intake of veg too. It helped me and a few others here are beginning to say the same.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hiya, just an update. I had my surgery a fistulotomy I think it was. I had a really horrible experience with my surgeon. He barely spoke to me before my surgery, never explained what exactly was going to be done. I had a consultation with the anesthetist. After surgery on the day ward my surgeon stuck his head around the curtain all he told me was it went well, the wound was to be left open as there was an infection in the fistula and to expect a small amount of bleeding. I was quite out of it after being under anesthesia and ye didn't give me a chance to ask questions. Anyway after being home for a few hours and passing my first b/m I had a lot of blood the toilet bowl was full of bright red blood. Obviously I didn't know if this was normal as he said to expect a little bleeding. Anyway long story short and a long night on a trolley in accident and emergency, the next morning I was seen by another surgeon who couldn't understand why the wound had been left open and not packed so she passed me back to my original surgeon. He finally seen me and was so incredibly rude, basically told me I was to expect the bleeding and to go home. I had also complained about lower back pain and a chesty cough.all of which he ignored. I ended up leaving the hospital in tears and sitting for two hours to see my GP. She was great checked the wound, which he never did that morning and checked everything else too. She put my mind at ease and didn't make me feel stupid like the surgeon. I left happily with painkillers and an antibiotic for my chest. Glad to say a week later and being back with my GP today the wound is doing good, minimal pain too. Sorry for the rant. But finally feeling a little better .

• Posted

So sorry you had this terrible, terrible surgeon. There should be a review site where we can give our ratings on Surgeons, that would make them sit up and take notice. You did everything right. Glad you are now feeling better. Rant away, better out than in. Thanks for the update. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.