Need help with tapering.

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello all,

i have been on mirtazipine for almost 5 weeks to help with sleep. i originally started on 7.5mg, but after 7 days, I increased my dosage to 15mg per doctor's order i was on 15mg for almost 3 weeks. By the end of the 4th week, I noticed my anxiety symptoms get worse and i was only sleeping 4 hours at most. I decided to taper off the meds. i've been on 11.25 for 4 days now. As of yesterday, ive experienced diarrhea, no appetite, a headache (that went away). I don't know if these are WD symptoms or stomach virus. I will say since reducing my dosage, i have gotten more sleep and my anxiety has gone down. Today i feel a littlw brain fog and detached. i am really sensitive to meds, and i am SUPER scared of the WD symptoms especially the hallucinations and mania.

i noticed too that when i'm driving or walking by a pole or a mailbox, from the corner of my eye i think its a person, but then i turn to notice it was just that a pole or a mailbox. i dont know if im being paranoid or if im hallucinating. Has this happened to anyone?

any advice you can give me for tapering off mirt will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i forgot to mention that ive been having night sweats since coming down to 11.25

• Posted

omg, the nightsweats are totally awful, still getting them, thing is im also going thru an early menopause so it could be sweats fromthe that too!!!

• Posted

i am going on body identical hormones as can t deal with nemopause and withdrawals

• Posted

This is withdrawal. Funny, I came off the BCP at the same time I came off Effexor and had the most horrific night sweats, too! And I also was in menopause, I discovered. Makes it hard to suss out what's causing it, but your other symptoms suggest withdrawal. It takes a matter of a few weeks to get hooked on mirtazapine and diarrhea coming off is common. A burning skin sensation may also make an appearance. And headaches are common, too,

The fact that you got worsening sleep and anxiety the higher you went suggests you may have the opposite of what everyone thinks is happening. High serotonin causes anxiety, so you may be pushing up what is already a naturally high level due to variants of enzymes that process neurotransmitters. I have these mutations in the Mao-A and COMT genes which code for slower than normal enzymes meaning neurotransmitters aren't getting broken down fast enough and that means HIGHER levels. Drugs that increase serotonin will make things worse!

• Posted

yeah i cant wait to be off this completely. Only helped with sleep temoporarily, but made my other symptoms worse.

are you off it completely?

• Posted

I am not sure but if you was only on them 5 weeks I can't imagine WD being too bad? I was on them for 10 years at 45mg and stopped completely over a 6 week period so in essence I stopped quite quickly and because of the I was paranoid I would feel all the strange things that you end up making it happen.. For me anyway Ive been off them now since the 17th March 2019, I do feel ok to be honest, especially when you think Ive been on them over 10 years at high dose. I was on them for general anxiety disorder. I feel fine and still get anxiety but thats not the Mirtazapine its me in general.

• Posted

ive been off them for 5weeks, was on them around 9 months, our bodies will all react different to withdrawls i suppose, its one of the worse drugs ive ever came off

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.