Need help with test results and levothyroxin please!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Started Levothyroxin in Feb and am now on 50mcg but stopped taking it 3 days before the test because sick of the bad side effects.

TSH (0,27 - 4,20)

Nov 4,210  Jan 6,070  Feb 7,890  Mar 4,050  May 4,130

T4 (9,3 - 17,0)

Jan 10,8  Feb 8,5  Mar 11,7  May 10,8

T3 (2,0 - 4,4)

Jan 3,5  Feb 3,0  Mar 2,9

TPO (<34)

jan 304,4

since i stopped taking the levo my spots have cleared and i'm starting to feel more normal. results show no problem with thyroid. endocrinologist appointment next week. could it be that my thryoid now has no problem and that the levo was giving me bad symptoms because of that? should i go back on the levo until my appointment? should i ask my dr for another tpo test? unsure how to proceed.

]="" jan="" 304,4="" since="" i="" stopped="" taking="" the="" levo="" my="" spots="" have="" cleared="" and="" i'm="" starting="" to="" feel="" more="" normal.="" results="" show="" no="" problem="" with="" thyroid.="" endocrinologist="" appointment="" next="" week.="" could="" it="" be="" that="" my="" thryoid="" now="" has="" no="" problem="" and="" that="" the="" levo="" was="" giving="" me="" bad="" symptoms="" because="" of="" that?="" should="" i="" go="" back="" on="" the="" levo="" until="" my="" appointment?="" should="" i="" ask="" my="" dr="" for="" another="" tpo="" test?="" unsure="" how="" to="" proceed.="">

jan 304,4

since i stopped taking the levo my spots have cleared and i'm starting to feel more normal. results show no problem with thyroid. endocrinologist appointment next week. could it be that my thryoid now has no problem and that the levo was giving me bad symptoms because of that? should i go back on the levo until my appointment? should i ask my dr for another tpo test? unsure how to proceed.

>

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't stop taking it without talking to your doctor first. Also, you need to take it so the test will be accurate. It can take awhile to adjust, ask your doctor to lower your dose for two months so you can work your way up, that might help.
  • Posted

Hello Mary:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's disease since 1987.

Thyroid disease is not cureable but it is treatable and there are many different meds on the market.

Levo is just one of them. There is Armour thyroid which is a natural and is made from a pig. Also Thyroid S and Nature's Thyroid, along with Thyroid W.  Then you have Liotrix also called  Thyrolar and Liothyronine (T3 only). If you are in the USA, your doctor can order a Natural one and it is much more agreeable to the body. A pigs thyroid and ours are almost identical and that is why they use a pig.

When you have some side effects you should tell the doctor and if needed the doctor can change your med. In the UK certain formulary restrictions do not allow you to get the Naturals free, but you can get it elsewhere outside of NHS.

You have high TPOA antibodies and that is going to get worse if you go off of thyroid meds.  While some of your blood work is okay right now it WILL NOT STAY THAT WAY!

Go back down to 25mcg and take that dose, but you need the hormone and your blood before was BAD/ABNORMAL!  "TSH was 130" (you do not have a decimal point so I do not know if it is 1.30 or 130) and it should be 0.45 to 4.50 or in that range. 

Please call your doctor and explain the side effects and ask for another medication like Liothyronine or maybe you need 25mcg only of Levo.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Why don't they seem concerned about running another more up-to-date TPO test?

I'm afraid that the endocrinologist will see that my results are within the safe limits and tell me to stay on 50mcg or even 25mcg - but I do not feel well on levothyroxin at all. The few days I stopped taking it I felt more normal than in the last 7 months. My own dr I've seen many times and he tells me he only knows about Levo as its what all of his patients with a thyroid problem take. I've started taking 50mcg levo again just to try to get a different treatment from the endocrinologist.

Thanks for your replies. I find it all so confusing and difficult to analyze.

• Posted

Hello Mary

You are in the UK which is socialized medicine, and the downside is that they do not support a wide variety of meds.  Everyone over there has to take Levo as they only support 2 meds.  Levo and Liothyronine.

I am in the USA and we have a wide variety of thyroid meds. Some of the ladies LAH and Barbara and a few others buy the naturals online.  If you wuld want to try a natural thyroid med, you would have to buy it outside of NHS.  Th NHS doctor of course can't give you a medication NHS does not carry in their formulary.  These other meds do exsist but sadly NHS does not have them.

Try the 25mcg by breaking a 5mcg in half and stay on that for a month and get used to it slowly. 

Also, TPOA is an antibodies test and can be repeated ut if the number is high it means Hashimoto's disease or autoimmune thyroid problems and it is treatable by taking thyroid medicaion.  NOT CUREABLE, as we all wish it would be.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Tsh 4.13

Seen my dr this morning who tells me that dosage needs increasing as tsh is better when it reaches 2. He warns me that the endocrinologist (who I see later today) will probably prescribe me meds to slow down heart as my heartbeat was fast.

Is it normal that the heart is affected like this or would a different thyroid med act different than thyroxine?

• Posted

Hello Mary:

All of the meds for the thyroid could ause a high pulse or heart rate.  Levo tends to do  it  more than the natural ones. 

If t heart rate stays high then see a cardiologist (Heart Doctor).

I hope you are well,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you Shelly. I've seen my endo and he's reduced dosage. So now I'm back at a dosage I've already tried which doesn't work. Frustrating that dr and endo both think differently. Would really love to find an endo who doesn't tell me that the adrenal system and the thyroid are not linked. I'm having less heart problems but still have insomnia, anxiety and my chillls are back. They checked out my heart already a few months back and all is fine. Know its the meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.