Need hope! Success stories since stopping gabapentin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m just looking for people to tell me about the positives since stopping this evil drug gabapentin. What good its done ? How much better they feel ? Mainly how there mental state has changed since stopping it. No negatives please as I’m needing some hope here. Thankyou in advance! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I believe there is hope! Just taper down very slowly at 100mg. at a time, over a period of 4/5weeks; then decrease by another 100mg over another 4/5 weeks....and keep going. This has been the only way I have been able to survive the decreasing. Doing it this way, I had practically no side effects.

​I am 62 and have been on 1500mg for about 20 years....now I am down to 1200mg.

I figure it will take a couple of years, but I am determined to do it in a way that will not harm me as much.

Stay positive. I do not know what my body will tell me when I am finally off for good, but I am willing to give it a try

• Posted

I’m at about day 20 i think off this med.  After a couple not good days - today is a good day! I actually asked my husband to take me into town to go shop for supplements. Then we window-shopped some for like an hour and then stopped for food 😊

I got the Magnesium powder called “Calm” (not the nighttime one) and had minimum dose in a glass of water when we got home. I’m feeling ok!

I also heard about vitamin d3 and valerian root supplements but will hold off and stay with mag unless I feel I need more calming. Watching a movie right now and we may go for a walk later. Think that will help too, I’ve been too sedentary lately. 

I feel better... Stick with it my friend, we can get through this. 

• Posted

Magnesium was huge for me, it helping me. Better mentally after 3 weeks and each week has got better. Now 6 months later and 95% back to normal. Know it will get better,
    • Posted

Adkin67890 can I just ask what the gabapentin did to you mentally ? It’s caused me so much suffering.. 

and since stopping the gabapentin has there been a big difference?  has it made the horrible mental side effects go away ?? Sorry for all the questions just panicking here I really want this awful mental stuff to go away.. 

• Posted

Wow, thanks guys! 

I just wanna skip a few months & see what my mind is like then.. 

I’m scared that I’m always gonna be like this mentally now.. 

Did anyone suffer from intrusive thoughts after starting this med ? 

Also I have like a constant song playing in my head? Will be the last song I’ve heard, after it will be playing over in my head, frustrating! 

I’m on day 8 now.. 

I want my mind back! Back to normal! sad sad please god let that happen. 

Again thanks guys! X

• Posted

I’ve had songs  playing in my head, too! Yesterday was Gnarls Barkley “Crazy” and today Rod Stewart “handbags and gladrags” they just repeated in my head and are not on my song list. Weird, lol 
    • Posted

WOW! Has this been since being on gabapentin?? 

It’s doing my head in now, kinda stops me from being able to think.. 

Not in a bad way but I’m kind of happy that I’m not the only one it’s happening to because now I’m believing it’s definately the gabapentin messing with our heads.. just shows the damage that this evil drug does! 

• Posted

Yes, think it’s the gabapentin thing, never had songs playing in my head like this before!!  One of the lesser side effects though, music is good 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.