Need hysterectomy, nervous about recovery!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am only 27, I have had 3 miscarriages, 2 tubal pregnancies and 2 amazing baby boys which are now almost 1 and almost 3. They are both rainbow babies. I have endometriosis really bad and have had horrible periods, migraines and joint and muscle problems for 3 weeks out of 4 every month for as long as I can remember unless I was pregnant. I go tomorrow to discuss getting my hysterectomy with my doctor who has already approved it just waiting on my go.

I am a stay at home mom with a salon in my home and do nails full time. I can't afford to take more than a week off and have my kids while my husband works. I will never have 6 weeks to myself to recover and I'm miserable. He said he can do it laparoscopic which I know helps and it's out patient as long as there are no complications. My boys are 23 & 30 lbs. I need to be able to lift them after about 6 days, was anyone else able to?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have endometriosis also and had a total hysterectomy in April. At first he said he was going vaginally then after reviewing my diagnosis he said it would be abdominally. But the day before he said he's try laporoscopy way but told me that if the endometriosis was bad and he couldn't get it all via laporoscopy he would end up going in abdominally. Fortunately he got it all out via laporoscopy but said one of my ovaries was fuses to back of pelvis(hence my bad back pain) which meant I was on table longer but he saved me from a big scar.

I think you are underestimating the recovery of the op. Even done laporoscopy way it's recommend 6weeks. You will be very sore and tired and if he takes your ovaries you will be very emotional as you have no hormones being produced so you'll be all over the place. I was put on hrt which helped with my mood swings. I think you need to give yourself more time to recover. I understand how hard it must be when self employed. No idea if any financial help is out there for your situation.

It sounds like you really need to have the op. Your health is most important. Do you have any family who can help you out temporarily in any way.

I wish you good luck for your op and a speedy recovery.

Fi. X

• Posted

Hi I'm 3 months post op tah I was slit from hip 2 hip & right up my naval after being cut from my bikini line as the Dr couldn't do my op from my bikini line due 2 me being underweight I am still in an awful lot of pain i have 5 kids my youngest is 10 & is disabled & I still can't pick him up everytime I do something I end up in pure excruciating pain & my stomach swells up like a balloon you have 2 take it easy especially with toddlers & u will nd 2 take more time off work than a wk you will just make yourself worse I overdone things & I know that has caused me a lot of problems I ended up with a bleed in my stomach & I burst my stitches & ended up with a post op infection & my vaginal wall collapsed which was disgusting don't over do things I'm still off work & going demented but at the same time I know that I will end up more Ill if I do go bk I'm struggling so much with the pain & it's really taking a toll on my health don't do the things that I've done i no your a busy working mum but you really need 2 take time 2 recover whoever gave a 6 wk dead line 2 recover has clearly never had a hysterectomy it's the most painful thing 2 go through you really have 2 relax as much as you can can your husband not take time off work 2 help you or maybe your mum or other family members

• Posted

Hi there, You must NOT lift your children after only 6 days, the fact that you have been told you can have the op done laparoscopically does not mean you can do things at a faster rate, all of the abdominal muscles will have been cut through and need time to heal, the recomendation is not to lift anything heavier than a kettle for about 6 weeks, believe me you need to stick to that advice or you could end up back in hospital to repair the damage that you have done to yourself, it is a MAJOR op even laparoscopically, yes recovery is easier probably but you still have to be very very careful.
  • Posted

Hi I totally agree with the ladies it's a major op and if you overdo things you will prolong your recovery. I had haematoma and an infection. All my pacing about trying to get fit quicker increased my bleeding. Your body has to recover for the best results please be careful rushing it. 6 weeks is to a full recovery but maybe reduced with lots of rest.

Good luck

• Posted

I agree - You absolutely CANNOT lift your children after 6 days. I think the typical is more like 6 weeks. Lifting anything / anyone too heavy can impede healing and cause permanent damage. Any doctor who tells you otherwise is concerning. It doesn't matter how many / how large incisions you have, just as much cutting is done on the inside regardless of surgical method.

You are aware too that hysterectomy (with or without ovary removal) is not a cure for endometriosis? It may or may not help with the pain and any relief you get may be temporary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.