Need laparoscopy and Skyla IUD advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all! I hope everyone is staying safe during this time! I've been experiencing endometriosis symptoms for about 5 years now and they have steadily gotten worse, especially recently. I have now been experiencing pain with sex for several months. My doctors have been fantastic about managing my symptoms in the past, but as of today, they have scheduled me for my first endometrial laparoscopy to diagnose and remove. This feels like its happening very quickly. I was expecting to have to wait several more years before they'd agree to it. But due to my mothers medical history with severe stage 4 endo, they don't want to wait for it to get very bad before they take action. Im 20 years old, and many doctors wont do this surgery on younger women(they think endo doesnt apply to us). As i mentioned above, I have many of the symptoms and they have gotten pretty severe at this point, but I also have the genetic factor for endo. The surgery is scheduled 3 weeks from now and I would like to know yalls experiences with your first laparoscopy as well as any tips to help with recovery. They also plan on putting in the Skyla IUD while under, so if any of yall have gotten the Skyla, please let me know how your experience was with it! As weird as it might sound, Im somewhat excited (and nervous) to finally hopefully get answers and possible relief .

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi Lindsey, I suffered from endometriosis for years. I had laparoscopy and was diagnosed almost 20 years ago. The surgery did not take away my horrible cramps and painful sex. It was not until I changed my diet. I cut out gluten and with months all symptoms disappeared. I would explore removing inflammatory foods; ie gluten, dairy, corn, red meat, to see if it makes a difference. I was 38 when I cut out gluten and I lost so many years to endometriosis. The last 7 years have been my healthiest and pain free years. Good luck.

• Edited

Hi Lindsey, I had 2 endometrial surgeries(laparoscopic & vaginal) about 2 years apart but, I also had a hysterectomy(just uterus) the 1st time and an ovary removed with some bladder repair the 2nd time, my recovery went well, no complications and I got rid of all the pain once I was totally healed, mine was pretty bad, that's why I had so much extensive surgery...IMO(and in my case and from OTHERS experiences) the longer you leave the endometrial tissue to spread and grow, the more complications you can expect...you are young, there are always risks with surgery and it may need to be repeated eventually but, you REALLY need to discuss any concerns and know all the risks & options from your DR or surgeon....I can't comment on the specific IUD but, you should ask if that may help or if it can cause other issues, as far as your endometriosis is concerned & especially know the risks that come with this type of birth control...Good Luck with your surgery and BEST WISHES for a speedy recovery๐Ÿ’’๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŽถโ™พ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ€โ˜ฎ

• Edited

I'm with Sgt.Linda: in my case, a complete hysterectomy (uterus, both ovaries & both tubes, cervix) at 27 gave me a great life. That was like 5 weeks after a laparoscopy, after 3 years of nightmare, after 1 year off BCP, after 7 yrs on '60s vintage uber-strong BCP. Back then (can you hear the dinosaurs?) the only thing done in a lap was a look-see & close you up.

I fought hard to get that hysterectomy, knowing that i didn't want kids. i doubt that there's any endo circumstance under which you could have one, especially in the South, at age 20. The circumstances that would get you one are things not to be hoped for -- cervical or uteran cancer.

And it hasn't been all sunshine here: 27 years after my hysterectomy, endo came back and i had a short colon resection. That was 11.5 years ago. Still, much better results than most women get with severe endo so I shan't complain.

As to IUDs, i know next to nothing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.