Need motivation.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 30 and somehow got mononucleosis with a peritonsillar abscess 2 weeks ago. I was kept in the hospital overnight and was on clindamycin and prednisone for 10 days. I thought with mono you are suppose to be tired all the time but I'm not in fact I'm struggling to sleep almost every night. I have no energy though and when I do go out and try to work my heart speeds up and my muscles get tight in my shoulder and then I get numb in my arm and face. I don't know if that's mono or if I'm having problems getting over the drugs? My doctors haven't been totally helpful with that. I've been off the prednisone for 5 days tonight cause my doctor told me to get off it when I started to get a rash. I've been off the antibiotic 3 days tonight. Maybe I'm being irrational cause I've never been sick besides common colds but what can I expect? I'm a farmer so just taking it easy isn't always a possibility I need to work so how long till I can start getting my energy? How long does it take to recover from side effects of drugs? I've been taking probiotics and trying to eat healthy. Anybody have any suggestions for me or tips? Sorry for the rambling.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Having no energy is the same as having mono.

and prednisone effects can take a week or more to get better. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough. Your symptoms sound really normal for mono - I too get the numb face/arm thing on left hand side - doctor thinks may be a swollen lymph node pressing on a nerve. I was on steroids recently too and to be honest it was a tricky ten days when I was first off them but I rested through that time and now feeling much less rough.

It's impossible to say how long it'll take you to feel better as it varies but DON'T do things that make your heart race or it'll prolong recovery. Be gently active (walking round house etc) when you feel up to it to avoid deconditioning. If you continue to get stronger extend it in really little bits e.g. Walk half a mile a day for a few days. Eat good food and try to do restful activities.

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks it sounds like we have a lot of the same things. I'm also having pressure where the spleen is located. Do you have this issue too? I'm going in to see my doctor about this to get advice.

• Posted

I sometimes get a bit of pain just under my left ribs, I'm not sure if that's spleen. I think it may be my stomach as my mono gave me gastritis but I take Ranitidine now and it seems to be getting better. Let us know how you get on with the doc :-)

• Posted

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday about my doctors visit. Yes I have an enlarged spleen. It was 1 cm bigger then normal (feels much bigger then that though) and the doctor wasn't concerned. She told me to definitely avoid getting hit but doesn't see why I can't work as much as my body will allow me to work. Still suffering from brain fog which I guess is the mono and side effects of the medicine I was on (not her words but mine). She suggested I take Zantac or Benadryl 2 times a day but stomach felt much better today. Don't know if that's the probiotics finely working or what but hoping I keep improving.

• Posted

That's great, glad you're feeling a bit better. Hope improvement continues for you (and all of us!) :-)

• Posted

Hi Nathan,

So sorry to hear you've had such a tough time lately, remember it's important with mono to give yourself plenty of rest and to respect it, because working through it and lots of stress definitely is a mistake that too many people make. It can be different for everyone the recovery time, but if you just take it easy initially then recovery is definitely much quicker I do believe.

Taking some vitamins and immune boosting herbs would definitely be advisable, a good strong multivitamin every day and also B complex and co-enzyme Q10 are very good for energy levels. High doses of Vitamin C (1mg-3mg per day) is also good and would recommend an immune boosting herb like siberian ginseng or echinicea. These will definitely help boost your immune system and hopefully help you to start to feel a bit better anyway.

Hoping that you feel better soon and remember plenty of rest and avoid stress as much as possible - hang in there and listen to your body and you will get through this and get better I really do believe Nathan.

Take care

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.