Need motivation. What does "recovery comes in waves" look like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've seen a lot of people here talk about recovery coming in waves. Could someone explain what that looks like?

I'm looking for motivation. I've been on cit for 6 weeks (3 on 10mg, 3 on 20mg). The side effects have mostly gone away it seems. I've had a stronger appetite, feel less physically exhausted, and I think I even have a higher libido (went from masturbating 1x week to almost every other day)! All of these things look good on paper, but I still don't feel all that great. I feel slightly hopeless, I'm still not sleeping normally, and I'm having a lot of trouble concentrating on stuff or feeling motivated. Do these things improve? If so, when did that happen for you guys?

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond to this stuff. Reading other posts has helped me a lot. I hope to one day be one of the katecogs on here passing on wisdom!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Daniel,

I am only on week 10 of 20mg of citalopram. The first 8 weeks were like riding a roller coaster. Some days felt fantastic while others were completely off the charts terrible anxiety filled. I lost interest in everything I normally loved to do, couldn't eat, and lost a lot of sleep. I am still nowhere near fully recovered. I still have anxious mornings, loss of interest in things, difficulties concentrating...but the bad days have gotten less excruciating and the good days even better. I think that's what they mean when they discuss recovery coming in waves. You still get blips of the anxiety showing its ugly face through the process and it takes time...lots of time. It can be physically and emotionally draining during the low periods. Placing a time frame on this stuff is a very difficult thing to so as everyone is different. Sounds to me like you're seeing the gradual improvements so my advice would be to take the small wins and continue to push forward.

Best regards,

Randall

• Posted

Hi Daniel,

i have been on Citalopram for 4 weeks (just over 2 on 20mg and 9 days on 30mg). i had one amazing week on week 2 abs tgen crashed back down again. Still there now. i sometimes see glimmer of hope, feel hungry or slightly more optimistic but then it goes back to normal. So frustrating!

Am 9 days into increased dose of 30mg abd realky need encouragement! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.