Need propranolol help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to the doctor who prescribed me 80mg of slow release propranolol. Im 21 and have been suffering from extreme anxiety for a long time and yesterday after I had an attack I took one of the tablets. My heart rate had been high before but I felt relaxed after taking the tablet. I started panicking after checking my pulse because it was very slow so I couldn't sleep because of this, when I did I had very visual images and my hands and feet are very cold I don't want to take another tablet today is this safe to do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would call your dr and see if you could take 1/2 a dose. Sounds like it will work well for you if you can get the mg's right.

• Posted

Cold hands and feet and a slow heart rate (pulse) are common side effects of propranolol, nightmares are also a side effect not a common one but it can happen your dr should have explained this to you when they prescribed them. I wouldn't worry too much, you can keep taking it but if you need reassurance go and have a chat with your dr. 

• Posted

I spoke to a pharmacist she said I should give them time to settle into my system I haven't taken another today tho I'm not sure when would be the best time to take them would u suggest? thank you smile

• Posted

Hi, my sister takes Propranolol her dose is lower than yours but she does take it for anxiety, she takes it in the morning, I think her dr said thats the best time for her to take it. Maybe go back to your dr and see if you can start on a lower dose snd build up to the 80mg dose.
  • Posted

this is completly normal. propanolol will slow your heart rate, and cold hands and feet are a VERY common side effect. if propranolol is going to increase your anxiety though, you might ask your doctor about trying something else. as for the dreams, vivid dreaming is a very common side effect of lots of medications too (including propranolol). as long as you are taking propranolol, you can expect them on and off, but if they become too much of a problem, prazosin can be helpful in treating them. you may need to switch off propranolol in order to take prazosin, in which case you might just have better luck trying something in place of propranolol altogether. if you are able to, speak with your doctor before taking any more propranolol and that should help to ease some anxiety. if you do decide you need to stop taking them and you aren't able to talk to your doctor, you might want to taper off of it and just take 40mg for today and stop completely tomorrow.

• Posted

Is this a daily dose. Call you doctor and talk to him, or her. They will help you and answer all questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.