Need reassurance

Posted , 4 users are following.

So let me start but saying that the last time I had my heart checked was in February. I had three EKGs, two echos, and a chest X-ray. I had a blood test too. Everything came back normal. Recently, I’ve been obsessed with the thought that there’s something wrong with my heart. However, at one point during the day, I’ll be perfectly fine and I’ll tell myself ‘there’s nothing wrong with you, you’re only 15 and you’re healthy’. But later in the day I’ll have a panic attack because I’m positive something’s wrong. I have pain in my back and like, my core?? I don’t know how to explain it. Sometimes I’ll get a sharp quick pain in my chest, I get leg pain, I’ve had arm pain, and I have jaw pain at random times in the day. Sometimes I feel nauseous. I have shortness of breath and heart palpitations, and my heart races. I also get weird feelings in the face, like I can’t close my mouth all the way. I sometimes feel like something is in my throat. The last time I had my heart checked was in February, do you think I’m still okay? Do you think this is all anxiety? It goes away in the day but it comes back. The other day I had this feeling like my heart skipped a beat and then I got super anxious and my heart raced. I’m so scared and I want to stop worrying😭 the last time I worried this much about something I ended up in a psychiatric hospital. Im so scared that my life is ruined. I’m coming off of remeron 30mg, I just dropped to 15mg yesterday. I’m start Prozac because the psychiatrist said it’ll help with the anxiety and obsessive thoughts. Someone please help me😭 I’m so scared that I’m going to die. I go to the cardiologist next month for my yearly check up and I’m terrified that they’re going to find something.  I’m fifteen, never smoked or drank, my diet is pretty bad, and I’m a little overweight. Other than that I’m healthy. I’ve had so much checked and everything comes back normal. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I know that feeling. I have terrible health anxiety as well, especially heart worries. Yes, anxiety can cause all kinds of crappy symptoms. Try some calming music or nature sounds. And get something to fidget with. I have worry stones I rub when i start to feel anxious. Believe it or not, those 2 things combined work well.

• Posted

You are fine!!! I have had ALL of those symptoms you mentioned above from anxiety.

It's good you are trying meds and seeing a psychiatrist, you should be proud of yourself for that! I found seeing a therapist helped me a lot.

Keep this idea in mind: there is NO certainty to your thoughts. Just bc you may feel or think something is wrong with u does not mean there actually is something wrong. Anxiety can cause sooo many different physical symptoms that it can be very scary and make you worry something is wrong with u but the only thing u can do is get checked by a Dr and do tests, etc. And you've done all that and it came back fine! So you're fine =) Keep reminding yourself of all the checkups you've had and how everything came back normal.

Also, you said there was a moment where your heart felt like it skipped a beat? I had this happen to me too, but later on I realized it was actually just a muscle spasm in my chest from my chest being tight. Is this maybe what you felt too?

• Posted

Could you PM me and explain what symptoms you had?? I need to know I’m not the only onesad I’m so scared that there’s something wrong with my heart 
  • Posted

Do you have a lot of sugar or caffeine in your diet? If you are insulin resistant or have a sensitivity to caffeine, this can really affect your heart. If you do, cut down slowly, stopping altogether can sometimes do more harm than good.

You mentioned you have jaw pain, which maybe because you are grinding your teeth or jaw swinging, both of which are common with anxiety. If you do it when you are asleep, you may not even realise you are doing it. 

You need to concentrate on your breathing because when you are anxious you can sometimes hold your breath, which can lead to dysfunctional breathing. Make sure you are breathing in and out from your diaphragm.

Keep a diary of your anxiety when it is better and worse because there maybe some sort of monthly cycle. Also keep a food diary and you may notice some food or drinks can make it better or worse. 

It may feel like you are going mad, but anxiety and OCD is very common and there are solutions and there is help out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.