NEED REASSURANCE- probably the most stupid thing you'll ever read

Posted , 6 users are following.

Right be prepared to laugh.....I have awful health anxiety that is slowly getting better but sometimes it just blows up out of nowhere, at the moment it's very bad the other day I was having a bath and dunked my head under water and as soon as I did it I remembered reading something about brain eating amoebas- a thing that loves warm, dirty water/ lakes, that gets into your brain from water getting shot up your nose , uses your brain as food and then you die. There's only been like 35 cases in 10 years, all in the US (I live in England) and all from people diving/putting their head under warm lakes in the summer. But of course my anxiety has fully made me believe that by me putting my head under warm water in the bath in the British winter weather, I'm going to die in 2 weeks. Online it said that they can also live in water heaters and tap water (again this is all in the US). I have a headache at the moment and Ive convinced myself that this is what's causing it. I know how stupid and I don't want to scare anyone I just need someone to tell me to stop being stupid.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You are Very likely not gonna die in 2 weeks. It's only anxiety.

This sounds like me when I watched the movie 2012 and when 2012 came a long I was prepared to die and I didn't. When 2 weeks come a long you'll slowly start realizing your okay and Since you didn't die your fear was Irrationial and Conquer it. 

Try drinking Chamomile Tea 3 times a day until then and Taking L theanine 100-400 MGS which is a natural supplement that will relieve your Anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you! I know it's all in my head and eventually I'll get over itsmile

• Posted

Hi Mel smile no... Not silly. Things you think or feel or even fear are never silly. Be kinder to yourself.

It sounds like a horribly intrusive thought. But that is all it is: a thought.

I am sure you have thought many, many things today. Millions. The thought about your brain or any bacteria eating it is no more or less important than any of the millions of other thoughts you have had.

So... You are now in position of choices.

You could choose to give this thought importance. You could then choose to google symptoms, cases, visit a doctor and generally allow that small thought to grow.

Or... You can notice it...let it make you feel however it makes you feel: "that was disgusting/that was frightening" etc... And let it pass.

Don't push the thought away but don't give it any excessive attention. Just let it be. Notice all the other thoughts you then have..and notice them go in and out of your mind.

This is mindfulness. A thought is just a thought. It is no a premonition and it does not mean your thought is accurate. It's just a horrid thought.

You don't need to act on it. You will be okay X

If you have more intrusive thoughts (or have done in the past,) then I would highly recommend counselling or CBT as this can be a form of OCD. I know it is for me.

All is well x

• Posted

Thank you! I really tried so hard to resist the urge to google or seek reassurance but the thoughts were too overwhelming. I've tried CBT and I found it only helped to talk and let it all out but I didn't really learn how to cope with anxiety, it'll be on my mind until 2 weeks are over haha but I'll try watching a mindfulness video or something x

• Posted

I am willing to bet my house and all of it's contents that you're not going to die in two weeks haha. The headache is from you worrying. Stress headaches are common, so just try a warm heating pad over your eyes and relax for a little bit. The chance of getting any bacteria from a bathtub is probably less than .1%.. Now if you were bathing in a swamp with 385 people, I would say maybe you should be concerned lol

• Posted

Hahaha thank you so much , I know in 2 weeks I'll have forgotten about it, I do this all the time, panic over nothing and then just forget about it, but it never gets easier and always that 'what if this time it's real' feeling! I'll try the heating pad, thanks again

• Posted

Hi you are just like me, I google everything then convince myself I have this and that and then spend my life feeling anxious, javing horrendous palpitations and chest pain, all tests show not heart related, but do I believe them, no I do not.  I am 57 with an 18 year old who I desperatley want to see grow up but have convinced myself that I will die young, I limp from event to event, ie great got christmas over with, it is his birthday in Feb so have to get that far, both he and my husband do not understand but I have decided this year will be the year I get some counselling, have made an appointment with GP and husband going to come with me as I usually find GP a little intimidating and do not get very far.
    • Posted

you just need to live in the moment rather than worrying about the future! I'm only 19 and I even sometimes think 'right I need to make it to next month' or something like that. It's such a horrible mindset to have and is a waste of time worrying about it so I think you should get counselling asap so you can start making the most of your time with your child and living life to the fullestsmile good luck at your GP appointment! sending positive energy to youuu x

• Posted

ha ha,

That is so me.... I couldnt have wrote it any différent.i am 57 too.

This week alone .. i have had a heart attack, liver disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, fatigue, cancer.. google tells me so.. But its all the anx.

I picked up a talking minds leaflet from the surgery , i emailed them Sunday night as anx wäs so high, and they rang me today.. I have an appointment with a counsellor on Wed. Cant quite believe i made that step. If you have an NHS number you can do a self referal.

Give it a whirl xx

• Posted

Bless you mel

I suffer health anxiety too... so i didnt laugh. Try to let it go and get some respite from the anx... You were doing so well.

But we know what its like ... if it wasnt one thing it would be another, and just when you get over one mystery condition another crops up.

Try some coping skills and breathing and focus on something else if you can 😊

• Posted

glad I'm not the only one! Yep agreed, once I get over the fact I don't have a brain tumour, next is I have cancer and then after that something's wrong with my heart- its never ending! I'm trying to focus on other things and be happy but then the 'I actually have it and I'm going to die soon' thought comes back and I get sad again it's soooo frustrating, I'll keep trying though, thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.