Need Rectocele repair and SCARED!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I am new to this site but am finding it very helpful.  I know this is a UK site and I am from the US so proceedures may be different but the feelings and recovery are the same everywhere it seems.

I am seeing my doctor on May 3, 2015 to discuss my test results and options.  He did call me personally after my defecogram test to let me know that I do have a rectocele and need repair.  I will find out at my appointment if I need any bladder work done also.

I am very afraid of this surgery.  Not just because of the pain and recovery afterward but in 2009  I have a urethral sling proceedure done with complications.  Walked into the hospital the day of surgery expecting to only stay overnight and ended up leaving a week later using a walker.  The doctor I am seeing now is not the same doc I had previously but still scared.

Just looking for support I guess.  I have a lot of autoimmune issues so I know the recovery will take a while.  I watched the youtube videos of the proceedure and that probably wasn't a good idea because now I am really afraid.

You site is wonderful for the honest answeres and information I have read.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Suzy

I'm 3 months post op from my rectocele op here in France.  I had a mesh sewn in to hold everything in place and so far touch wood I'm doing well.    I never thought I'd feel this good after putting up with my prolapse for 12 months before I went to the Doc.  It was so uncomfortable for me beforehand, peeing about 12 times in the night and I got caught short lots of times when I was out and about.  As my bowel prolapsed into my vagine I used to get an awful burning sensation at night, even after I'd been for a BM.    Make sure you rest completely after the operation, for the first 3 weeks I hardly did anything, just wandered round occasionally to keep my circulation going, my husband was an angel but is certainly glad I am almost back to normal now, especially cooking and cleaning, albeit carefully.  I'm even outside when the sun shines getting my garden prepped for Spring.  So best of luck with your op, and look after yourself.  Gill.

• Posted

Hi Gill

I've also been dealing with this for a while.  You know how it is.  You start noticing something doesn't seem to be working quite right, then you feel the BM in places you know you shouldn't.  And in you mind you think...my gosh, no one else could be having the embarrassing issue.  Like you I finally got the nerve to go see my doc and here I am looking at surgery but also hoping to feel normal again.

• Posted

Hi Suzy:

I am from the US too and am 10 weeks now post op for retocele and cystocele (bladder prolapse) surgery. I thought my biggest problem was the bladder falling and had no idea that my constipation problems and trying to have a bowel movement were because of this. As a couple gals have mentioned, the first week is the most difficult. I was not in much pain until I had to have that first bowel movement. Advice: begin taking the stool softener immediately and drink lots of water. I mean lots! The first time you try to have a movement will probably be painful. I though I was giving birth out of my rear end! (sorry but thats how it felt) It felt like I was tearing all th work that had been done. I read on this site (after the fact) to raise your knees a little higher than your rectum (a 6 inch book or something under your feet) and to take a deep breath and slowly blow it out while you try to evacuate. I'm still using those 2 pieces of advice. Helps tremendously! Once it was out, I felt ok. It got easier and easier but continue taking the stool softeners for a while with lots of water. One thing that helped me a lot was taking sitz baths for the stitches! Try soaking 2-3 times a day in luke warm water. 

Now the good part! I feel so much better! No more constipation or struggling with knowing I have to have a bowel movement and not being able to get it out! No more bloating. No pain - no more hemmoriods, etc. I also had nagging lower back pain that I attributed to something else. It is gone after this surgery. I am so glad I had it.

The cystocele was much more difficult to recover from than the rectocele. 

You will be fine once you get through that first "movement". Good luck!! No worries.

• Posted

Hi Mia

Thank you so much for your honesty and your advice.  I have heard of some of the things you talked about when having a bm and I will definitely be trying all of them.  Do you work and if so how long were you off?

• Posted

Yes, I work part-time in an office setting....so mostly sitting down. But I can work remotely somewhat. I am 58 yrs old but in good physical shape. I took the first week off and then worked from home the next 2 days. I then went back into the office on the third day but I only work 3 (5) hr days. I wasn't taking prescrip pain meds after leaving the hosp. I used ibuprophen and acetaminiphen alternately every 6 hrs for pain. It didn't really hurt for me to sit as some people have said. If it does, try using a donut or cushion maybe.
    • Posted

I am in the process of scheduling my surgery for rectocele and cystocele and a hemhorroidectomy. I want to know will I feel normal again? I am scared because of all of that at one time. But I have so much problems having a BM that my hemhorroids are bad and then I feel like my insides are falling out of my vagina. So I need to know do you really feel better and does sex hurt after these surgeries? I just want to feel normal. 
  • Posted

Hi, I had a Posterior and perinium repair on Oct 8th under general anesthetic. Packing and Catheter removed following morning - passed urine well during the day and had BM that evening before going home! Next day was ok,pressure down below unless I was sitting or laying down. Got constipated following day despite taking the Lactulose which was really painfull! Finally went but spent the day in bed! It's now day 16 and I feel great. Have not needed any pain relief since coming home so I must be really lucky. Still got a bit of "blood" loss but getting less each day.No sign of any stitches on pad as they told me might be noticed.Anyone know when it's ok to have a soak in the bath? Have showers but I love my bath!
  • Posted

I had a rectocele surgery with mesh 5 years ago and have not been pregnant since I have 5 children I never had to try before but I can't seem to get pregnant is it Even possible for me to become pregnant ?please someone shed some.light on this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.