Need some advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm struggling with this since last Monday. I went to the urgent care as soon I started to notice some rashes on the back and left side of my neck and I'm on antiviral since than but today looks start to spread to my chest and a little bit on my face and different kind of pain and burning sensation. Sometimes looks like all my nerves are getting be pulling to the extreme. I'm keep working (I'm full time nanny) because this is my last month at my work, so I feel better most of the day but at the final of the day everything gets really worse and I have to take some pills to be able to sleep. Any advice, please. I'm 57 years old by the way. Thanks for anything.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Telma,

Which antiviral are you on? You may need to extend it to two weeks if the rash is spreading. The rash itself is contagious if

1.It is uncovered

2. All the vesicle-blisters have not scabbed over

3. The exposed individuals have not had chickenpox or the vaccine. This includes pregnant women and their unborn children.

The pain of Shingles is usually a burning, electric, lancinating pain. The pain often worsens through the first and second week of the disease.

Accompanying symptoms include headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, fatigue and exhaustion.

The fatigue and exhaustion can continue far beyond the pain and rash.

Individuals need excellent pain control of the acute pain. When it is not well controlled the first month, it is more likely to turn into Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN or become recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Perhaps you could ask for reduced hours, even two hours, so that you can rest and sleep.

Activity and exertion worsens the pain. Ice and cool compresses calm the pain. Some people like Lidocaine creams to use topically. If the pain is severe, strong Opioids and Gabapentin used together are indicated. However, you cannot drive or watch children while under the influence.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm taking valacyclovir HCL since Monday. I went back to the doctor today after a really bad night with high fever, big head/neck pain and he prescribed a more strong pain killer and Lyrica. I was amazed how expense this cost (US$ 400).

Hope to have a better night today.

• Posted

And by the way Merry, I'm really impressed and thankful for your attention to me and to everyone. God bless you my dear. 

• Posted

Telma,

Are you doing any better now?

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I have been traveling, and the internet and electric service to plug in my phone have been spotty.

I hope the Lyrica is helping with the pain.

Did you take off from work? You certainly need to rest and sleep!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

I started taking just one pill for three days but yesterday changed for 2 pills a day and started to get better. All the vesicle-blisters have scabbed over but the skin still very sensitive.

I did not take any time off from work because this is my last month with them. I'm moving to California next month. It's never a good time to have shingles but this gets me in a very bad time but thanks God I'm getting better. I have a little pain in my ear but the doctor said that I have no infection on it.

The pain is 24/7 but now it's not going up on the scale. It's like 3 or 4 and I've been able to deal with it.

Thank you again for you attention.

• Posted

Go to a qualified MD right away.

i hope that you were not blistering while being a Nanny,.

thats contagious, right Merry?

You can plan on suffering madly for at least five week and then until the end of time if you are stuck with PHN.

ZDont go back to urgent care. They know nothing about zoster.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for taking time to reply. I went to the doctor today after a very bad night and he put me on a strong pain killer and Lyrica and I will still with the anti-viral Valacyclovir until tomorrow night. I'm taking slow, having lots of fluids and resting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.