Need some advice on anal fissures

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to this community (just made an account) so I'm sorry if I end up doing something the wrong way.

For this past week, I've been having sharp pains during my BMs (it almost feels like I'm passing glass shards)

I looked this up online and found that it's most probably an anal fissure.

However, I haven't bled even once, so I'm not sure about this.

Anyways, I didn't really take a lot of water and fibre everyday, but I started doing it to keep my BMs soft.

It's been almost a week but I've seen absolutely no improvements, even sitting hurts so it's very problematic because my work requires me to sit most of the time.

The pain from BMs lasts for hours, and after that it changes to feeling like something is stuck inside my anus which makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Does this happen in anal fissures, or is this something else altogether?

This is the part I'm very worried about, because this stays with me all day without a break.

Since I'm currently infected by Covid, I can't go for a physical examination right now as I'll definitely spread the infection.

So what should I be doing right now?

Is it normal for this pain to continue like this without any improvements, and what is this feeling of something being stuck down there?

Since it's basically like I'm opening up the fissure over and over again with every BM, will it ever heal on it's own or do I absolutely need some external treatment like medicines, ointments, etc?

I've been avoiding eating anything that I don't necessarily have to eat because I'm scared about the pain it'll cause when I go for my BM, which is worrying my mother.

I haven't told her about this because of the hard-to-approach nature of this problem.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, I really need it. This is very nerve-wracking.

Once again, sorry if I made any mistakes in this post.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi no49897. I'm really sorry you're going through this - must be painful and worrying...

Have you contacted your doctor? I understand that you're self-isolating at the moment, but it is always good to let them know + get a professional advise. They should be able to prescribe medicine over the phone, do you have anyone who can pick it up for you...? So that you know, I was prescribed this ointment called 'scheriproct' , which, in my case, made my fissure only worse. My understanding is that scheriproct is a medicine for haemorrhoids and I just don't understand why some GPs prescribe this to anal fissure patients.

In terms of home treatments, try sit on a hot water bottle to ease your pain. Applying olive oil, or olive oil+honey might also be soothing. Drinking apple cider vinegar (with mother) diluted with water can help clean your gut (= help healing), but do a quick online research on how to take it as the vinegar can damage your teeth or stomach!

You also might want to try Sudocrem. I personally didn't use it, but used the cream/sitting bath called 'Tannolact' from Germany. I don't think you can get Tannolact in UK, but Sudocrem MAY be similar...

In terms of 'something stuck', it may be that your bowel is not completely emptied, or a kind of 'skin tag' that appears where you fissure is. If it's the latter, it should shrink as your fissure heals (that being said, as it is anal fissure's nature to heal and open and heal again... the skin tag/s may also come and go...) But I am not a health professional, so if you haven't done so, please do contact your doctor.

If it is anal fissure, yes, slow improvement is completely normal, so try not to worry and try to stay positive that you will be better!

• Posted

Hi

I feel so very sorry for the pain you have been experiencing and it sounds very similar to what my partner experienced. You do not need to suffer in silence, please start looking at getting some treatments.

My partner found that he got relief after a bowel movement by sitting in a 'sit bath'. The miracel gel that finally got him on the road to recovery was Rectogesic 4mg/g. I gather it is a very strong treatment and can cause headaches but my partner tells me these are short-lived. We had to beg, plead and knock on many doors to get this, and to be honest my partner is livid he wasn't given it months ago when he was in agony. He is also taking a homeopathy remedy that I found online called Ratanhia 200c.

You should ask your GP to refer you to a colorectal consultant who can confirm that is is an anal fissure. Yes, it does heal, and the Rectogesic gel helped enormously. You must make sure you drink at least 2 ltrs of water a day to prevent constipation. I'm no expert but I hope these help you.

Don't give up, you will get there.

• Posted

I've had a fissure on and off these past thirty years and only these past two months that it really bothered me and messed up my life. After going to three different doctors, the last visit was to a gastrointerologist and he basically resolved my issue.

I have always been regular and never miss a day going to the bathroom. My issue was that my stools are hard and no matter how much fibre I ate or drank water, my stools were still hard.

The GI doctor explained that I need to put back water in the large intestine. PS the job of the large intestine is to remove all excess water from the food/poop.

Since the pain started I was eating just oats, fruit, veg and small protein. I had cut off pasta, bread and didn't even touch a cracker, thinking that they will add to my hard stools.

Solution: To put back water in the large intestine one needs to take an 'osmotic laxative' such as Fybogel or Movicol. I bought both of them and since Movicol is stronger than Fybogel, I take a Fybogel after lunch and a Movicol sachet after dinner. They worked wonders - poop is not hard and am now back to eating healthy but everything.

The trick is to soften the stools. It's been now over a week and have zero pain. Fissure seemed to have healed. I will continue taking Fybogel forever so that the fissure will not return. Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.