Need some advice on my dosage of citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I was prescribed 10mg of citalopram and it took a lot of courage to start taking them. I was very paranoid about them and I have been cutting them in half for 3 days now. Not really noticing very many side effects but really want to just feel good again. I don't know if I should take the full 10mg I'm nervous that I'll have a lot of side effects if I do. I just want to feel normal and happier but I feel like I am slowing my healing process by lowering my dosage. Should I just start taking the 10mg or keep with the 5mg for a few more days?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello

how about taking 10 mg split into 2 X 5 mg a day.  Have the whole dose but split it over the day?  Then gradually have it all in one go. 

You might even be ok with 10 mg at once as its a very low dose. The side effects are usually loss of appetite, possibly headache and sometimes feeling a bit worse initially.  However, knowing that it's the medication, not you, that's making you feel that way does help. 

Hope  this helps. 

• Posted

Thank you Lynne, I will actually try and do that and see how I feel. I am just such an anxious person and I get very paranoid and freaked out. This is the first medication I've ever been on and its pretty scary for me right now.

Thank you again

• Posted

It is a scary feeling and the anxiety is part of the reason for taking the tablets. You will be a different person once the medication kicks in and does its job.  Keep telling yourself this will get you to where you want to be health wise.  You may not experience side effects. Some don't, but the ones who do say that the end result is always worth it. 

Be kind to yourself.  You will get there I know it. 

Take care 

• Posted

I started with 20 mg as to be honest I wasn't aware that you could start at a smaller dose. I did have side effects but nothing I couldn't handle and they went quite quickly
  • Posted

Thank you both for helping me. I'm going to try and do the 10mg and hope for the best. The sooner I feel better is what is what's important. I cannot sleep at all right now it's almost 1am and I usually never stay up passed 10pm. Hopefully I can get some sleep so my mind can relax

Thank you

Dev

• Posted

Kerry I also started on 20 mg and although I had side effects I came through the other side too!  I think it's usual to start on 10 mg then increase to 30 but my doctor didn't go down that route. 
  • Posted

Sorry that should say start on 10 then increase to 20 not 30
  • Posted

Hi I have been on escitalprom 10mg for 2 1/2mths(escitapopram is twice the strength of citalopram) yes there were side effects i didn t have to go to work so wasnt so bad. I hardly think 10mg would have bad side effects though. I would start with 10mg or 2 x5mg a day. from about 8 weeks the side effects went away even the insomnia is getting better. i am still a little flat but 100% on what i was. get started on it asap & stick with it for a while. It will get better if not than you will need to try another type. Cheer

• Posted

I started on 10mg 5 days ago I too was nervous of side effects so I take mine at night. I do have to get up to pee more than usual but soon go back to sleep. I'm a bit tired the next day with a slight headache but nothing coffee and two paracetomol can't fix. I don't feel any worse than I did before I took them either. I was actually worried they weren't working because of all the awful side effects I've read online. I would say take at bed time see how that goes
    • Posted

I do notice myself constantly yawning after taking it, I've been taking it around 5pm and I feel like I could go to bed. Now here it is, the next day already and I can't fall asleep. It might be a side effect? Or i am paranoid. I think I'll take it closer to bed and see if i will be able to sleep. Thank you
    • Posted

Yes i do remember yawning all the time too but that went away i think after a few days.Fuzzy heads,blurry eyed,night sweats,insomnia, total loss of appetite no get up and go were some of the memorable side effects. Now i am much much better,happier and healthier too. I take mine in the morning and some nights are bad but getting better 
    • Posted

How long have you been on it for?? I am only on the third day of just 5mg and I cannot sleep at all and I am so sweaty hot, not to mention my power just went out at 2am!!! I never go nights without the fan on and this is just making it worse! This is why I am so nervous to take the 10mg I don't like dealing physical things that make me stress out on top of everything else going on
    • Posted

about 10 weeks now an much improved. go back to doctor 5mg is very mild i started on 10mg escitalopram equal to 20mg of citalopram so its a low dose after about 2 weeks i felt slight improvement and every day got a little better if at 3 mths and i still feel a bit off will ask doc to increase it to 15mg. Wet hand towel on forehead or body to cool you down is good. just hang in there i know it sounds a long time i thought that too and here i am much improved. But i think you need an increase Devin. Where are you how much do you weigh also. It may be because dose is to low too. i took antihistamines which helped me sleep, 3 panadol works for me too.But ask chemist or google sthe interactions of the drugs you are taking to make sure they are safe to take together. I know it all sounds too much but it will be worth it in 8 weeks or it maybe much sooner for you than me. Maybe 4 weeks a noticeable improvement. Be kind to yourself

• Posted

Thank you, I was prescribed 10mg but I have been cutting them in half. I am from California and I'm about 5 feet 3 inches weighing 120 pounds. I am suppose to be going back to school March 1st but I'm scared I won't be ready. I'm

Going to start taking the full 10mg from here on out. Thank you so much

Dev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.