need some advice on venlafaxine withdrawal please

Posted , 5 users are following.

heya,im after some advice,My friend takes 1 Venlafaxine 225mg a day,He has been on them for 12 months so far.Hes decided to go “cold Turkey” against his doctors advice.Ive been reading about the withdrawal symptoms and im really worried can anyone tell me the likleyhood of symptoms being severe and what, if anything to minimise the imapct as he is determined to be off them.

i was reading other posts on here about some patients feel the drug has made them worse and by these comments i beleive this couldbe the case for him too.

thank you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I came off Venlafaxine 7 weeks ago cold turkey. It's not advisable and ur friend should be prepared for feeling awful for a while. Symptoms for me were dizziness, tiredness, nausea, brain zaps (which i still get occasionally) emotional and irritable. I would advise getting omega 3 fish oil tablets as these seem to help the brain zaps, also vitamin b complex tablets. Eat fruit and veg and try to get plenty sleep!
    • Posted

thanks for your reply gillybean,i will pass this on,he's only stopped this morning,he's determined to come off  so all advice is gratefully recieved.
    • Posted

No problem, that's what this forum is for. I was the same, I was determined to come off so i did, I pretty much slept for the first couple of days then the withdrawal symptoms kicked in. I felt really bad for about 3 weeks, and it's only now, 7 weeks later that I feel much better. Obviously everyones different though so might not be the same for ur friend. Wishing ur friend all the best, and if u have any other questions feel free to ask
  • Posted

def dont do cold turkey, i withdrew at 75mg/fortnight which was quite quick and took a low dose of prozac for last week when stopped altogether, it helps with the final withdrawl
  • Posted

I have had depression for over 20 years and been on many anti depressants.  The last nine years I was on Effexor (Venlafaxine).  I diud stop cold turkey once, but depression returned.  Withdrawals bad for a couple of weeks.

Last year I took 10 months to withdraw on doctor's advice.  I got no withdrawals by doing it slowly.  I was on 150mg a day. 

Yes if your friend withdraws cold turkey he will get symtoms of withdrawal, the worst being zaps in the head like little electric shocks.  If he can ride out the symptoms, then hopefully he will be OK.  But many people have reported it has taken weeks or months to feel right again. 

The medication did help me, but I would not like to go through withdrawals again.  Iwould advise your friend to take it slowly withdrawing.  Up to him of course if he wants to go cold turkey.  I hope he manages OK doing it this way. 

A lot of people advise taking supplemnents, which I have always done.  There is a lot of advice what to take whilst withdrawing.  Some people go onto another anti depressant whilst withdrawing from Venlafaxine.  I would not personally do that, but some say it helps.

• Posted

Thanks Anne,yes he's determined to go cold turkey,im not sure he's doing the right thing,but i will support him anyway i can,He is quite strongminded so i hope he can do it,thanks for your input,its very much appreciated
  • Posted

Slow slow slow. I was on 175mg for over 12 years . I have been V free for 7 or 8 weeks now. We decreased about 10% every 10 - 14 days. It was hell even doing it that way . Sweats headaches crying hysterically brain zaps buzzing in my ears total withdrawls. I'm just now starting to feel better. I have about 4 good days a week and getting better. Your friend needs someone to be with him in conditionally to lean on . I couldn't have done it without him.  From what I've heard cold turkey is not the way to go.

Good luck to your friend. Tell him there is nothing wrong with going back on it and tapering off more slowly. He is lucky he has a friend like you to be by his side.!

• Posted

Thank you ncoules,i wish he would do it slowly i really cant bare the thought of him suffering but i cant make him do  it,ive nade him promise to  go back on them and do it the slow way if it gets too much. ill be there every step of the way
    • Posted

This site has given me so much hope too! All you can do is be by his side and remind h that everything that is going on is the drug withdrawls not him. There will be crying and stomach aches depression and the list goes on. I started this process in eary August and it still goes on today . Just remember it is the drug not him!! Keep repeating that !' Keep talking to people on this site. I wish we could all pool together and sue their assed! So many people suffering!! I don't even want money just the drug companies being held responsible!!'
    • Posted

that is a great way to recognise if I actually am feeling better... Like how many acceptable (even if I can not say good) days in a week.  I came off Effexor, had a horribly hard time, had to go back on Zoloft, gave them all up (now in hindsight too quickly).  Been off everything 4 months, feeling lethargic, sad, anxious, nauseous.  do have a few moments each day when i reel reasonably "normal".. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

I so agree.  My siter convinced me I had a depressive illness, that runs in the family...how wonderful these meds were.  Oh not addictive.  bull. We both then merrily went on like recruiters for a cult, getting everyone else to take them.  How guilty I feel now.  I thought I was smart, I was connned.  First to take Zoloft in WA.  Then it was the newbie Effexor.  Just guinea pigs, and feeling worse now.  I lost everything.

• Posted

There is potential one big risk should his depression return on top of the withdrawl symptom he may be in a really bad place
  • Posted

Hello, I gave up the effexor, and I acted really weird.  Thought I nearly made it, but took a tiny amount of a valium.  Now I realise I am overly sensitive to so many medications, I ended up in hospital, and that is not a great place to be, when people do not understand.  Luckily managed to get out the same day.  think I had to go back on them, then later managed to change over to Zoloft again, one of the first I was ever put on.  Plus a mountain of other things.  I cut out nearly everything four months ago, I took four months to do it this time, not four weeks. Taken four months to finally get my brain back after about 10 horrific years.   caused by Effexor, but others are not much better.  Lost everything, home husband, financial security, due to what I call "risk taking behaviours"  financially. That I would not have done if I had a clearer brain.  All is clear in hindsight.  Anyhow, severe withdrawal has happened after four months off.  Now realise how lucky I have been, even though the last two years have been pretty awful), actually going from effexor to something else, Have heard, and know withdrawal from effexor is horrific.  I am lucky, I can not go back on the previous drug because I believe my brain has begun to recover, and I would feel worse trying it.  The one drug, however, I did not toally give up was Seroquol, so have gone back on half the dose I took previously.  I slept OK last night, and am actually out of bed (very difficult usually), and I am cleaning the house, and of course on the computer.  I enjoy the support from others going thru the same.  Good luck.  Myadvice? Go on a different antidepressant, stay on that for two years, then cut down over four years, not four weeks.  Good luck!  surviving antidepressants is a great support group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.