Need some advice please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've written on here before about my troubles with work. Recently everything has been getting a lot worse and I feel like I'm stuck and in need of advice.

Im currently trying to get control and recover from a bad year, I've had constant panic and anxiety attacks, depression and have been diagnosed with OCD and PTSD. Ever since I've come out about this, work has been unbearable, I had to report a colleague of mine for constant harrasment, but nothing has been done. Its bad enough that most of my attacks happen at work but now all this has made everything a lot worse. I'm currently looking for elsewhere too work, but I'm seriously thinking about quitting now as it is affecting my health. I've tried letting it go over my head but obviously there's only so much someone can take.

Has anyone else had a simular experience? Would appreciate some advice. Thank you. Xxx

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, about 50 years ago I worked as a patent engineer for a multi-national organisation.

The pressure at work was relentless and the way that I was treated was appalling, to the point when my anxiety levels hit the roof.

I was dragged into hospital with a suspected heart attack and spent 7 days in intensive care, such was the  state I was in.

My family GP at the time was a personal friend, and he visited me one day for a chat and to see how I was doing.

It was upon his advice that I considered all my options and subsequently resigned from that job (very much to the surprise and alarm of the Managing Director), and I went on my own as a freelance Consultant Engineer.

This turned out to be the very best thing that I ever did, as the anxiety problems seemed to disappear overnight and my general health improved by leaps and bounds.

I am now 71 years of age, retired and a grandfather of some great grandkids.

Had I not taken that step in my early years I feel very confident that I would have been 'six feet under' by the time that I was 40 years of age.

In your case i would certainly consider very carefully all your options.

If the medical help that you are receiving for your conditions is not working, either the treatment is inadequate or your job is really the wrong one for you.

If you conclude that there is nothing at work that you can do to improve things for yourself, then I would design a stepped plan whereby you could leave that employment without prejudicing your livelihood or your future.

DO NOT just jump from the frying pan into the fire - plan things well so that you can be fairly certain anything that you intend to do will improve your life and not detract from it.

Good luck in your future life.

• Posted

Hello.

Thank you so much for your advice, I will take it on board. I'm glad everything worked out for you. Good luck and take care. Xx

• Posted

Hello .leaving your job would be the simplest and quickest way to end work problems but I know this is not always possible . If you are in a union that should be your first stop. Your employers have a duty of care to you and if your employment is making you Ill they must take steps to try and rectify this.......reasonable adjustment. At the very least you could ask for a referral to occupational health. It may be they could sort out some counselling which could be benificial to you. Re harassment.....if you have reported this and nothing has been done then you have a case against your employer. Don't take any nonsense from your employer! Not easy when you are vulnerable so enlist the help of a friend or relative. You have the right to be accompanied at any meetings. Good luck. Anxiety is a pig of an illness without a bad employer on top! E.
  • Posted

Thank you both so much for your replys!

My anxiety in work tonight has been sky high, palpation, flutter, dry mouth, the whole shabang. And I have let it get the best of me. It sucks!

I'm having weekly councilling and I'm still waiting to be seen by a berevment councillor.

I currently work at a busy hotel/restaurant, I'm constantly on my feet, even when I'm having an attack and about to pass out I just fight through but leaves me exhausted. There's no union here where I work, my boss just told me to keep a diary of all the things my colleague says and does. Which I have gone with them for that. But nothing.

I feel trapped at the moment, I'm considering my options carefully as I don't want to mess my future up. I'm 27, and despite the things that are going on, without my job I wouldn't be able to do all the things I've done or want to do. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Xxx

• Posted

I feel for u hun.... i am in a similar position to u! I went from having attacks to to full anxiety disorder..if your job is the trigger then your gonna feel this way until you resolve this with your employer?? Do have a HR department??x
    • Posted

Hi Kelly.

I'm sorry that your going through the same thing, It's just terrible, I've never experienced anything like this in my life. There's a lot of nasty people out there, isn't there?

I think going back to my employer would be the best thing, family & friends have told me to kick up a right storm about it, it's easier said than done though lol. Xx

• Posted

I would defo go back to them. They have a duty of care towards you also! The best thing as the advice given by others is to leave! As i well know either staying or kicking up a storm is both hard work when anxiety is the problem....what really gets to me is that when u have an illness that people cant see it makes it soo easy to dismiss you and potentially make you feel worse. My CBT therapist is really good though and has taught me ways of dealing with problems quickly so i dont dwell and stress my self out even more..it dosnt work for everyone but did for me..you take care xx
    • Posted

Good morning just a thought. The CAB should be able to help you with employment issues. Many can be time barred. Ie......you only have a certain amount of time between an issue occurring and being able to do something about it. If you want things to change you need to be aware of this. 
    • Posted

Thank you all for your advice. smile

Today I have been writing my regisnation letter. Whether, I will give it in or not tonight has still yet to be decided. Xxx

• Posted

I wish you all the best. I worked in mental health for 14 years but my anxiety increased as the years went by which resulted in depression, my managers/HR/OC were really no good as I needed to get better, I did fight for my job but as I fought I just sank as I couldnt cope with the added stress. I lost my job, BUT my symptoms are better out of that enviroment. My health was more improtant. yes i loose the cash and a nice home, but I have stability within me, and that is priceless. take care and do what you feel is right.
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience!

I've fought these for a good year now, but starting to realise that my health is more important than money right now. My health is starting to suffer big time, my attacks happen in work every single day and then when it comes to my days off(if I'm lucky) all I want too do is sleep and get some of my strength back. I'm scared but I'm sure I will be better off right now. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.