need some advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hismile im a 17 year old lad in sixth form and have been suffering from anxiety for around 3-4 years now and have never told anyone. i always have a tight chest, always dizzy and tired and feel slightly depressed at times.

ive done endless amounts of research to try overcome anxiety and most things seem like scams or are too expensive. also the fact that i have never told any family or friends about my condition makes it impossible to get any help from them. 

i would like to know just some of the ways that you guys help deal with anxiety, and also is it impossible to get any behind the counter meds to help with anxiety without having to see a doctor? thanks in advance, Miles smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Im 21 and also believe I suffer with anxiety which has got worse the last 3 months. Though I haven't been to a doctor tone diagnosed. I use Kalms tablets which are herbal and you take 2 tablets 3 times a day and I have found they have really helped. I also use rescue remedy which is a spray also herbal that you spray on your tounge when you start to feel anxious or a panic attack come on. Both of these you can get from boots, superdrugs and tesco if your in the uk.
    • Posted

thanks for the reply! never heard of these actually.. how expensive are these both? and how much do you get per packet/bottle? as i might buy some tomorrow smile thanks again
    • Posted

I actually got some Kalms from superdrugs the other day 209 tablets for £6. But they are £4 in tesco for 86 tablets I think. The rescue remedy is a little more pricey, for a small bottle it's £6 I think in tesco but for a much bigger one it's £10. Maybe buy the smaller one and see how you get on with it 
    • Posted

It may take a few days for the Kalms to start working though so keep taking them to see a difference 
  • Posted

hi miles im 19 and also sufferfrom both anxiety and depression and simular to you i am very closed up about it. however there are types of therapies and drugs that help the symptoms. CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) tends to work with the majority of people who undergo therapy and once the technique is learned can also help with later symtoms and general control of emotions. however for me this did not work and am undergoing drug therapy with fluoxetine (prozac) this is a 5ml dose of 20mg daily. and at the moment is too early to say what the progress is. however to get best results talk to your gp or ask for a psychiatrist to help. 

and with cost as long as you are in education all prescribed medication and psychiatrist appointments are free. 

• Posted

is the fluoxetine prescribed? and yeah its not so much the cost that is the worry just telling my parents or anyone know that ive got problems rolleyes i just cant do it, and wouldnt even know who my gp is or where to go haha ive never done that sort of stuff since i was a little kid
  • Posted

We all feel its a weakness and try to be normal,it is difficult to deal with anxiety because it comes from the subconcious mind, having suffered it for 40 years and been on several medications its a case of learning how to cope with it yourself.  You are a young man, there are drugs that you can get from the doctor that help, maybe you need to discuss this with your doctor.  Anxiety does cause
    • Posted

im too nervous to go to a doctor and im not 100% keen on going on prescribed meds id rather use natural remedies or whatever if you know what i mean? thanks for the replysmile
    • Posted

the symptoms you experience.   The only drug that helped my anxiety was a low dose of Citalopram, i came off it a year ago because of health reasons.  It upsets me that you have this at 17 years old, i was 28 and it had been coming on for about 3 years.
  • Posted

There isn,t any natural remedy i can think of but there must be something in a health shop, look it up on google, it might recommend some herbal remedy.  I know relaxation helps but its not convenient to relax when you are at school.   If i got too anxious when i was working i would repeat something over and over in my head, the subconcious mind was still making me anxious, i held down a couple of responsible jobs in my working life. Whatever you do don,t let it get the better of you!  best wishes young man.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.