Need some advice post bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

Had bunion surgery 8 days ago but week later my toe looks like it’s drifting back to the other toes again in the bandage is this normal? At first there was quite a gap between big toe and second one 

Any advice please as don’t want to bother the surgeon 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna  

I would not worry too much at this stage, you will get a better idea when the bandages come off. Mine are not totally straight there is an angle of about 15 degrees between them, also my two feet don’t match there is also quite a gap between the big and second toes on one foot. I don’t think this is anything abnormal. When the bandages come off you can ask the surgeon but my guess is that it is all perfectly ok.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply 

Bandages off Wednesday 

Very nervous but excited too just hope all was successful as for the last 2 weeks it’s been covered 

• Posted

Hi thought would ask how did you go once bandages came off, I had both feet done via keyhole and get my bandages off on In two days can't wait. Did you still have to rest or could you walk around? 

• Posted

Hi you still have to be very careful once bandages come off as it takes 6 weeks for a bone to heal.

Walk more often but I was told to be very careful when ever I am sitting I still elevate my leg and this has minimised the swelling 

The more I walk the more discomfort I get but this is as expected 

Just look after your foot till the bone heals completely 

Good luck 

• Posted

Hello all, I believe it actually takes quite a bit longer than 6 weeks for the bone to heal properly, but after 6 weeks it should have started to ‘mineralise’ which means it has embarked  on the final phase of bone healing, which will be visible on x-ray. The process of healing continues for some months.

I am now almost 9 weeks post op and walking better, but still a bit awkwardly. However I can now go downstairs properly which is a big step forward!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.