Need some advice with my daughters blood work

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter is 9went in for a blood test as she's had headaches. Everything came back normal except her ALT was 43 and also her EOS was 1.5. Everything else was within normal limit I did notice that her AST was on 37 but that's still within range. Can some please tell me what's going on as the GP didn't give me much to go with and wants to re test her again in a few months. She did have a blood test 8months ago and it was with normal range at the time.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maryjane isn't it awful when our children become not 100%, getting blood tests done and then getting ones that aren't perfectly normal back can be really upsetting but it does sound as if your DR's aren't overly concerned at the moment.

Did they not give you any information to go on, was it just headaches that you originally took her to the drs for

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah it was just headaches. I didn't really expect a perfect blood work but I just didn't expect her ALt and EOS to be elevated. like I said she had blood work back months ago and and her Alt was fine.

• Posted

At 43 that's not massively raised but still a concern for you her mum, is her diet healthy, and not to be rude is she a little tubby

• Posted

No it's not rude at all She's 30kilos, I try to give them a healthy diet as I'm very health conscious, however they are kids so let's say they have a balanced diet lol 

• Posted

Hi just had a quick look at average weights and thats definitely not over weight, there could be lots of things causing the raised LFTs and mostly nothing to worry about, maybe there has been some bowel issues recently, I suggest you go back to your GP and tell them how worried you are
    • Posted

Hi there thanks so much for taking your time to reply to me. I did go back today and his still not concerned on the facts that everything else is within normal range, he thinks there may be some lab error, not to keen on that response but hey I'm no dr lol However I'm going to wait another few weeks or even a month and re test her. 

• Posted

I'm in agreements 6/8 weeks between test will give a much better idea, did she have anything overly fatty for a couple of days prior to blood works and was it a fasting test, I'm thinking maybe a burger or similar, for the levels to be so small a rise I personally wouldn't be over concerned, how the headaches now, have they eased off.

Has she had her eyes tested recently.

Your quite welcome to my time, being retired from a demanding career this helps LOL

• Posted

Hi again um couple days prior to the blood test she had grilled burgers the night before, prawns with rice couple days prior. And yes she was suppose to fast however she didn't, but she had chicken teriyaki sushi before the actually blood test. Not sure if they would affect her levels. She did start taking fish oil aswell a week prior. Besides that I can't think of anything else which would rise it. I'm trying so much to contain myself as I do suffer from anxiety but I just can't seem to find anything on ALT alone it's usually a combination of ALT and AST

• Posted

Forgot to also mention her headaches have slightly improved and I will be going today for her eye check up. Must be nice to finally retire from a demanding job lol never the less I'm sure you have more important things to do then reply to me lol

• Posted

Hi please don't worry I'm sure she will be fine even if your anxiety isn't LOL can I ask another question, why is she taken supplements, is there other medical issues your daughter has that u haven't mentioned, did you inform Dr she didn't fast?? Is sushi OK for youngster's all these questions LOL

• Posted

well she has no medical issues for the vitamins lol however she does need to take vitamin b12 as it's low and so is her iron so I was advised to give her them 2 vitamins as for the fish oil I didn't think would do any harm 😐 Lol.

I did indeed inform the dr about her not fasting she said that for that specific test for liver doesn't necessarily have to fast. Oh she loves sushi I try to keep it fully cooked, I guess is healthier then MacDonald lol when I first got the results I googled bad idea just gave me all these worst case scenarios 

• Posted

You will probably find that most of her symptoms are related to her low vit b and iron levels, headaches are definitely one.

I would suggest that now you either go back and talk to your Dr on your own so your daughter has no idea your worried or you wait till her next blood test and you will probably find its gone back to normal by then.

Its not great to have any test results come back not spot on normal whatever that means but growing children can have bizarre off the grid results due to new bone formation, even a bout of constipation can cause them

• Posted

I will do that thanks so much and you must be right about her headaches been caused by her lack of vitamin b12 and iron. Regardless I was given another blood test referral for next month. So hopefully all shall be good. Once again thanks 
    • Posted

Hi again Alexanderia thought I’ll update u on my child. Well she doesn’t want to get re tested 😫😫😫. So I don’t know if her blood work went back to normal or not. However 6months ago she got treated for h pylori and it didn’t go and then she just finished another course of antibiotics 4weeks ago. I’m hoping it goes this time around, otherwise they are sending us to a gastroenterologist pediactric and she will definitely not be likening  that. Neither would I to be honest I think she is too young to be going in and out of doctor. I’ll try push for a blood test for her I have the referral and all it’s just a matter of getting her to get it done. Hope your well 

• Posted

Hi Maryjane, I'm really sorry your girl is finding it hard to go through all this, some children really hate the needle and to be honest I had one that kicked scratched and bit so as not to have them and they were just for his inoculations which we really struggled to persuade him, he has them now because he travels so much,doesn't kick anymore LOL

So its possible if her hpylor has cleared her bloods will probably go back to norm, is it the pain from bloods being taken she has a problem with.

Its really hard to decide what to suggest but non of us even us older ones don't like medical tests.

I have had lots of gastroentology tests, there not great either sad thanks for letting me know and I hope that if you have a word with GP he says its OK to wait till she's amenable

• Posted

Hi alexanderia, sorry if didn’t sooner I have been so busy wit the holidays and everything else that comes with it haha. But on a good note we did manage to convince my little girl to get a blood test and picked up the results yesterday all is good, thank god. Her alt and eos went Baack  to normal, still don’t know what flaired it but don’t care right now as long as everything is back to normal I’m fine with not knowing lol. Have yourself a merry Christmas and happy new year. And thank you for taking the time to chat with me about her results, sometimes it’s nice to talk to someone who is willing to listen about stuff drs wouldn’t care to bother to explain or don’t give u much to go by.😊 

• Posted

Hi Mary Jane that's fantastic news, I agree that its best to just thank the lord its all gone back to normal, I'm sure it was just a one off blip and you may never get to know.

Our bodies are all very complex and to have abnormal readings now and then.

Its no problem, we all need someone to talk to and it costs nothing but a bit if time so anytime.

You and your family have a fantastic Christmas and I hope 2018 will be exceptionally good for you all x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.