Need some calming down

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had ankle ligament reconstruction surgery two weeks ago to repair a full tear in the ATFL a partial tear in the CFL and a partial tear in the tendon.  I have been in a fiberglass splint for the past 2 weeks and tomorrow I will hopefully be in a boot.  I have so many fears mainly because I obviously never went through this before and don't really know normal vs not.  My first fear is the first night while the nerve block was still active, I lost my balance on the stairs and put quick weight on my toes of the repaired foot to prevent myself from falling.  I have since been bruised on the metatarsal area as well as the toes(which obviously could be due to drainage from the surgery or I fear I did more damage which will require additional surgery.  I can move all my toes up and down with minimal pain so I'm thinking maybe a sprain(fingers crossed).  Then I have the fear that an infection formed in the incision(since I can't see anything) and it wouldn't be detected until tomorrow when they take the splint off and then it's too late to do anything about it.  I haven't shown any signs such as a fever or severe pain or pain getting worse, however I sometimes feel I have a high pain tolerance and therefore I don't know if I'm ignoring something that seems minor to me.  I also feel pain/throbbing when I get up(im assuming it's because the blood is returning back down to the ankle/foot region.  Has anyone gone through this before? Does anyone have any advice on how to keep my mind from going crazy this last 24hrs before I see the doctor again?

Thank you all in advance

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I've been captive for almost 14wks...so I understand going crazy!!

Sounds like you're really going thru a lot, and with that, comes fear, pain and trying to stay positive...not easy things to accomplish when you're just getting started in the healing process.  To say that it does get better doesn't mean much at this stage of the game, but as every one of the warriors on this site understands, that it really does get better and with the support of the lovelies on this site, you'll be ok smile

I too lost my balance early on as well, (ORIF broken fibula, dislocated ankle and torn ligaments), scared the hell out of me because I was only a few weeks into the recovery and I was completely NWB.  I put my foot down - fell anyway - but did no damage.  I wouldn't fret too much about this, chances are you haven't done any further damage.

Best advice I can offer, is do your best to keep your mind occupied, that is really your worst enemy because you have waaaay too much time to think.  I know the first few weeks are quite frightening because you are unsure of what's coming next, but if you really feel something is amiss, contact your Dr., that is what they are there for.  Ask as many questions as you need to and keep reading the posts on this site, these folks have a wealth of info to share and we can commiserate as we need too.

Speedy recovery to you.  Positive thoughts your way,

Deb

• Posted

Thanks Deb.....yes it's been a long 2 weeks(longer than I anticipated).  It started off with the first 2-3 days afterwards not being able to talk or drink anything without choking due to the breathing tube irritating my throat.....now this has been going on and my wife and I are expecting our first baby Dec 2, so there's alot going on and the fear of the unknown has been killing me.  And to top it all off I had to return to work 3 days after surgery because we are currently going through cutbacks where they're only keeping 10% of our department so I have to make good impressions for obvious reasons......thanks again for the response, I guess I just have to toughen up and get through this.

• Posted

Oh geez Anthony,

That is a huge amount of stress to deal with and then the injury on top of it.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this, it must seem very overwhelming.  But just think, a lot of ugliness for a bit and then your new baby come Dec....that will be wonderful.

Do your best to take care of yourself, physically and mentally before the wee one arrives.  I know for me .. patience is almost non-existent, so that has been the worst of it besides the pain and captivity.  But after almost 14wks. I have started to attempt to walk with a cane - I've done a pitiful job so far, but will persevere and maybe within the next few weeks I'll be able to drive again...wow....freedom!

Don't be too hard on yourself, this is a major life changer and you have other serious things going on to add to your stress level.  

Keep us posted as to your progress, hugs and a quick recovery your way!

Deb

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I’m in week 12 of of having surgery to correct a  trimalleor break. I had tendon repair as well and my leg and ankle are full of the lovely screws and long rod like plates that are used to put these  nasty breaks back together. 

I will share what kept me sane with the first cast. Being mindful of everything thing and slowing down my thinking- the weather, what I was eating or reading or just the love my family showed to me. Slow down and enjoy these moments. It will help with the worries.  If we live in that moment,  little time is left for what ifs. Watching birds. I know it sounds really boring but they are fascinating to watch at the bird feeder.  

Read about your injury and plan some goals. My first one was to walk down my steps and I made it.  Second is to begin to drive. I will meet that goal soon as well. 

Not to scare you but I contracted an infection likely because I had an open fracture. I spent a hellish week in the hospital.  I had an IV of strong antibiotics everyday for 42 days. The infection cleared. My bones began to heal and I am now walking on my walker!! I can go up and down steps and work part time. 

Your job, he new baby and just being in pain is overwhelming.

When your family asked if they can help- let them. Talk with your wife and your mom or dad. I’m sure they will give you some encoragemnt and if they are not able to do so right now just let your forum friends help you through this. I needed this forum so much. I am a strong, smart and tough 55 year old but this ankle break has been the worst thing I have experienced, so don’t let someone minimize your feelings and you shouldn’t either. 

Going through this is emotionally taxing and you already have life happening. 

Soon that baby will be here and you can hold and love her like nothing you have loved before. 

Hope all goes well at the docs. 

Please excuse the typos. It’s late and my glasses are not that big of a help. Lol 

Karen 

• Posted

Thank you soooooo much for this reply Karen.  I appreciate all the tips and information.  I especially liked how you shared that you had complications cause that's my biggest fear, that I develop an infection or something and right away I think of the worst(it can't be treated and amputation); however reading your story, hearing about your complication and how they treated it and you were fine, really gives me hope and peace of mind.

Thank you again

Anthony

• Posted

Anthony,

I’m glad I could help a little. With too much down time our minds begin to “awfulize” and many worst case type scenarios are imagined. 

I walked a good bit on the walker today and my ankle was swollen and in some pain. I had to talk myself down from excessive worry  lol. I iced it and elevated and it’s ok now. 

I think part of the increase in anxiety is because of the trauma of breaking a bone and feeling so vulnerable. 

Hope you continue to do well!

Karen 

• Posted

All I know is no stairs for me..is very dangerous.  Do you have to use stairs?
    • Posted

unfortunately yes I do, and I have never had as much anxiety as I do now with stairs before.  It's almost comical how I stand at the top and have to gain courage to start going down.

• Posted

Have you been to the doctor now?  Are you non WB?  If so, how do you get up & down the stairs?  Let us know how you're doing, OK?

• Posted

Hi All,

Thank you all again for all your responses.  Just wanted to provide an update.  I am now in a walking boot however he wants to leave the stitches in for another week because he saw something with the healing of the incision he didn't like.  As far as any complications or fear of fractures that I had, everything else looked fine.  He said I should be NWB untill I feel strong enough then when I want and feel ready I can go FWB(since I can't do any damage while in the boot).  I am now 16 days Post Op and attempted to only use the crutches to keep my balance, however I was able to go almost FWB with no pain.  So things are looking up for me on this.  Once again I thank everyone for their input and advise/information as it did bring peace of mind to me.

-Anthon

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

That is wonderful news!  I'm so glad everything is moving along nicely for you.  

Keep up the great work, I agree, this is a forum full of supportive, amazing people.

Best,

Deb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.