Need Some Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Kind of going through a crisis right now. I use to take Lexapro for depression, general anxiety, and social anxiety disorder for about a year and didn't have many problems with it. Not sure if this matters or not but twice while taking it I smoked pot and had a major panic attack. I kept taking the Lexapro after and didn't have any problems with it. I lost my insurance because of a divorced so I couldn't afford the Lexapro. So I stopped taking it for about 5 months. When I went back on the Lexapro I took it once and felt like I was high but not high. Totally zoned out and my pupils were dilated. I was at work and it took a few hours to break out of it and feel normal again. So I decided not to take it. He put me on something else, didn't really like it. I'm always afraid to take new meds and just felt weird trying to start up anything else. So I went a good year or so without meds. I had ups and downs, mostly downs but my anxiety seemed to be under control my mood was just down. The last time I went to the Dr he prescribed me Zoloft. I didn't take it right away because started to feel better than I have in a long time. But I wanted to feel great so I decided to take the Zoloft 50mg. Within minutes I was having a panic attack and freaking out. The panic attack went away but I felt like my eyes were huge, like I couldn't concentrate, I was super anxious, and felt kind of hyper. I eventually fell asleep and woke up the next day feeling pretty good. I crashed hard mod way though the day and had to take a nap. Then I started to feel down. That night to avoid freaking out again I decided to take half of the 50. I still freaked out a bit but felt out of it and kind of down for the rest of the night. I fell asleep, woke up the next morning for work. Still felt down but nothing unusual. Then about 9am at work I had a massive panic attack, never really had panic attacks before but it was a lot like the one I had when I smoked pot (again not sure if that has anything to do with it). I had to go to the ER. I stopped taking the Zoloft but was still having panic attacks throughout the weekend. It seemed to get better at times. On Monday when my Dr open I called he prescribed hydroxyzine and another new SSRI, I didn't want to take the new out out of fear of more bad side effects so I told him to go back to Lexapro because I didn't have side effects with that. I started taking the Lexapro and it seemed like it only made things worse and worse. I've been a wreck for almost two weeks now. I've missed work almost the entire time. I keep wondering what pills I should or shouldn't take. None of this started until I took the Zoloft. If I stop taking the Lexapro will the anxiety and panic attacks go away or do I need it to stop them? I took the Lexapro 5mp day one, 5 mg day 2, 10 mg day 3 and that day I started to have bad panic attacks at night and in the morning then was super tired and couldn't get our of bed from 8am-4pm and I felt good after that kind of, but then I took 5mg of lexapro and it started the process all over again panic attacks at night and another big one in the morning that sent me back to the ER. I have been prescribed lorazepam now. Yesterday the day I went back to the ER was pure hell all I did was lay in bed and I didn't take the Lexapro. Today I'm woke up anxious took the lorazeoam and hydro and am feeling ok. I can actually get out of the bed and do stuff. So what do you think stop the Lexapro and hope the panic attacks go away? Or continue with the Lexapro and with the help of the hydro and lorazepam I can make it through? I'm so scared that I have serotonin syndrome i don't want to keep taking the pills especially when I'm not it seems I'm getting better. But I'm not sure of the right answer. My dr keeps telling me to take the Lexapro.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I did have a small prescrption of lorazepam from the ER visit that I had and was using before I started taking the Lexapro again when I started to feel ok. And now I have it again after I stoped the Lexapro. So it's like is it the lorazepam thats helping or the stopping of the SSRI? I didn't have this problem before? I would think stoping them would stop the panic attacks and extreme anxiety?

• Posted

It sounds like your mind works just like mine... it can totally f you over after one bad experience. I had incredibly an similar experience with smoking weed a couple times, each time sending me into a panicked frenzy, that any substance or chemical I took after, reminded me of those times I got high & panicked. It's been a rough year trying to get back to normal, but I've found some things that help. I think you should look into hypnotherapy to alleviate the anxiety/panic around these things, acupuncture for panic, & maybe a more understanding doc to help pick and test which meds might help. This doc doesn't seem to understand your developing fear of substances and needs to take it seriously. Your mind will continue to wire your neurons into thinking anything you take will send you into a panic and it's very hard to stop or reverse that and let it be. It's also hard not to think you need to go to the ER every time you have a panic. Panic is a real thing and I suggest looking more into that now that you've awakened a sort of panic disorder within yourself. I'm serious, some people aren't meant to marijuana. I am one of them. Maybe you are too. It stinks because I love the idea of it but ... rolleyes

• Posted

I went thru rough period and trying different ssris until ended up on lexapro because least side effects (but one I have is big on too me see my post).  I too do not like taking any mess but started ssri during sudden death of both parents and depression and lex did help but it took months for body to adjust and reach clinical levels I think and stabilize.  I don't believe I would meet def of depression any longer but never did taper because I saw advantages for anxiety.

i would try and find one med and ride out adjustment period.  Lorezapam (Ativan) is a benzo and I'm told not only addictive but worst withdrawals of any drug so I would advise against using that a lot I'm not med professional but I would think the Ssri at right dose/titration and brand is what worked for me but does take time.  I don't think pot should have any interaction with an ssri maybe just bad herb I don't smoke but I think thc works on different reward system (dopamine?) then ssris but someone might know better and it is smart to at least be aware of mixing meds.  

Good luck hope works out be careful with Ativan IMO.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.