Need some help. I don’t know what to do next?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered with stomach problems for at least 3 years now and no one seems to know what is wrong with me. My main issue at the moment is continuous vomiting. I have had acid reflux all my life since i was 11 years old and its got worse and gone away over the years. However about two months ago i started to vomit up to 8 times a day and it last for over 6 weeks. I was admitted to hospital for 2 weeks because i was so poorly. I had an endoscopy a year ago and it showed my valve in my stomach is very weak and i had some inflammation in my stomach. The doctors havent really thought anything about it until i mentioned could this be the reason why i am vomiting. The doctors keep trying to blame it all on anxiety but i know its not to do with that. I have been referred for a Bravo study and a manometry but the doctors keep saying that they doubt they will find anything and that vomiting isnt common with GERD. I feel stuck because i am so poorly and its taking over my whole life i can barely work or go to college as i feel nauseous all the time and i vomit i also feel exhausted. The doctor said i might just have to accept that there is nothing wrong with me which i cant do as its taken over my whole life. Can GERD actually make you vomit food up and liquids and vomit quite alot at a time or can it be something else thats causing it? i feel so lost.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You may have a Hernia (hiatus), or a sliding Hernia. I too had the vomiting with numerous tests, and it was discovered that I had the sliding Hernia. There is a Hernia repair surgery, but from what I have heard about it, it's not very successful. I am taking 2 prescription antacids per day (one 1/2 before breakfast & the other before dinner). I was told not to eat heavy meals, cut down on the caffeine, so far I am doing so much better. My vomiting went on for almost a year.

Give the medication a try and revamp your diet to see if that helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Have you had a stomach emptying test to look for gastroparesis which causes nausea and vomiting? Don't listen to anyone telling you that nothing is wrong with you. Nausea and vomiting is not normal and acid reflux does not cause this. I have acid reflux and don't vomit with it. I was told by a doctor that I would have to accept I might never be diagnosed. I refused to accept this and was eventually diagnosed with IBS. If you don't get anywhere, change your doctor.

• Posted

Remember an endoscopy showed up a weak valve and some inflammation, so something is going on.

• Posted

you can vomit, with a Hiatus hernia, I have 2 friends with this, and they do vomit sometimes, Your Doctor is wrong to blame it on anxiety, although you can feel nausea, and some people can vomit with it..but I would push for a second opinion...you shouldn't have to put up with this...xx

• Posted

you can vomit, with a Hiatus hernia, I have 2 friends with this, and they do vomit sometimes, Your Doctor is wrong to blame it on anxiety, although you can feel nausea, and some people can vomit with it..but I would push for a second opinion...you shouldn't have to put up with this...xx

• Posted

did you ever get it figured out? i would really look into CVS Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome!

• Posted

HI! I had the manometry and the bravo test done. The manometry showed i have 'Ineffective Oesophageal Motility with 70% of my oesophagus not working. Im unsure at this stage whether thats the cause of my vomiting. i am also waiting for the bravo results to come back. What is Cyclical vomiting syndrome? Thankyou

• Posted

Cyclic vomiting syndrome is characterized by episodes of severe vomiting that have no apparent cause. Episodes can last for hours or days and alternate with symptom-free periods. Episodes are similar, meaning that they tend to start at the same time of day, last the same length of time, and occur with the same symptoms and intensity.

just look it up to see if your symptoms match. theres no test for it, doctors have to diagnose you by symptoms and by checking everything else off the list. i hope they find answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.